• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Connection ?

leep75

SBH Insider
I currently have a flight booked on SBC for our return, however, when I booked it, it was for 10:30 AM, it has since been changed to 10:00. Our flight leaves SXM at 1:30 (United). I dread being at SXM airport any longer than I have to be. Here's my dilema.....I can cancel the 10:00 SBC and get on a Winair flight at either 10:40 or 11:00 for about $100 (after the refund-20% from SBC). If I did the 11 AM is 2 hours enough time to transfer through? The Winair website recommends 190 minutes. I can't remember it taking that long last year on SBC, but I've slept since then so you never know. Any thoughts for those of you who have traveled Winair....Or should I just bite the bullet and leave on the 10:00 AM on SBC?

Take the earlier flight and spend your extra time in the Business lounge. It costs $20 p/p, but you will be comfortable and relaxed. They offer free soft drinks and snacks, usually have WIFI, and also have a couple of computers you can use.

Phil

Good advice Phil. I honestly don't understand the aversion to Juliana Airport- is there a disease I don't know about??

Neither do I. It's really quite comfortable and modern, compared to the old one, and miles ahead of the early 80's, when it was little more than a Quonset Hut.

Phil

It's not a matter of "could" you make the 2 hours work; it's WinAir's rule and they aren't flexible... AT ALL.

Gotta say, the chicken sandwich we had at the restaurant upstairs was fantastic. I prefer not to stress and get over early

Go on the earlier... Last trip we needed every bit of extra time as flights were delayed due to weather. Have a Carib at the bar, wander the shops... at that time the airport will be pretty quiet. Nothing like it used to be.. hot, crowded, with angry passengers and completely indifferent staff... Those were the interesting years... although I do miss the quaintness, the shops and the people watching of the old airport... glad for improvement with security--immigration -- AIR CONDITIONING! ... the staff are still indifferent but I have a lot more confidence that my ticket actually means I am on a flight.... LOL

always do the 1030 SBC and always do the United flight and always have beau coup time left over.......we are in the camp that SXM isnt a bad airport at all....get a beer...open a good book, and before you know it you are heading home

We always do the 10:30 SBC flight too for early afternoon flights out. It's plenty of time and last year I found everyone at SXM to be pleasant. Personally, I miss the charm of the previous entry gate, but I've seen a bit of improvement in the attitudes overall.

SBC is my choice above all others....love the ride over!

Yay! I was beginning to think that I was crazy. We have not encountered many rude people in the airport in quite a few years, so we head to the restaurant upstairs for a mediocre bite to eat and/or drink and we are on our way. I think the time passes much more pleasantly in the restaurant or lounge.

I love that the government of St Maarten has, over the past 30 years, made an effort to prepare the young men for great jobs in the airport. All of the windows were worked by young local men. Back in the day, the airport was staffed only with women, in the higher paying jobs. Good for them!

Huh? You are advocating higher paying jobs for men over women?? I understand that the young men in SXM should have good jobs but over women?

Eve, I am still trying to figure out what you mean with this post about the airport counter staff at Julianna. What are you trying to say?