Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Best cell phone solution while in St. Barth

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Ailleurs Posts: 6,287
    Pioneers...aren't they the ones that take the arrows?
    Fils du Sud - Ministre de la Santé

If I can't wear my Havaianas, I ain't goin'...ŔMHA

Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Boston Posts: 19,856
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassidain
    Pioneers...aren't they the ones that take the arrows?
    Yes, LOL, and in this case, the roaming fees if you blow out your data plan.

Moderator Joined: Jun 2003 Vélo, Virginia Posts: 16,823
    When on the island, I'm going to use my Dauphin chip in a new unlocked Motorola RAZR that I just ordered for $45. What I want to know is how to prevent my iphones from picking up data from some stray source while on the island. Merci.

Tim
    The best moderation is the least moderation.

SBH Member Joined: Jul 2011 Fairfield County, CT Posts: 182
    Tim, do you turn off data roaming?

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 51,705
    Airplane Mode with WiFi on, so you can pick up mail and web-browse when in range of WiFi.
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party -- June 5, 2023

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2009 Nantucket - St. Barth's Posts: 1,104
    Hey John,

To re-check.....Airplane mode on and Wi-Fi onto avoid roaming charges but still get emails on my I-phone?
    "Like" Us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/nantucketcatering

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 51,705
    Yes, whenever you join a WiFi network, but the cellular data and voice are turned off.
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party -- June 5, 2023

Quote Originally Posted by JEK View Post
    Airplane Mode with WiFi on, so you can pick up mail and web-browse when in range of WiFi.
    Merci encore!

SBH Insider Joined: Mar 2003 The Thousand Islands,ON Posts: 2,029
    Kimberly
    that's what we've been doing for years.Use the iPhones and iPads ,in Airplane mode,for emails and Skype calls home,on WIFI,which,as you know,is everywhere And a cheap cell,with Dauphin minutes,to use on the island- it's all very easy,and very cheap

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2004 Helsinki, Finland Posts: 7,970
    I always leave data enabled but disable data roaming. This will disable all costly data charges but the cellular network assisted GPS (a-gps) continues to work in most networks.

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Saint Barth Posts: 10,262
    Magic Jack app on iPhone is free to the States...

Magic Jack, too good to be true?

Ellen turned me on to Magic Jack, a free app for my iphone.I just made a couple of calls to the US, which calls are apparently free of charge and have great clarity of connection. My RAZR phone with Dauphin Sim is okay for talking on the island, but the reception was terrible when calling the US. One drawback to using Magic Jack is that folks in the US probably can't call back free to St. Barth using the number on their caller ID.

SBH Member Joined: Jul 2011 Fairfield County, CT Posts: 182
    Tim,

I used the Textfree w/ Voice app on my iphone while on the island. You get a certain amount of free minutes, get to pick your US area code (so folks from home can call you), and free texting. When I ran out of minutes, I purchased another 100 minutes for $2.00. All you need is Wifi. Another option is for folks with iphones/ipads is to facetime you. that is also free over Wifi

SBH New Member Joined: Sep 2013 Southport, NC Posts: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    When on the island, I'm going to use my Dauphin chip in a new unlocked Motorola RAZR that I just ordered for $45. What I want to know is how to prevent my iphones from picking up data from some stray source while on the island. Merci.

Tim
    Tim, purchasing a Motorola RAZR in the US and a SIM card on SBH seems an ideal solution for me. I was going to purchase a phone on the island as others suggested, however, if I had the RAZR, I could use that in Sweden as well. Could you provide the unlocked model you ordered, and from where? $45 is a great travel phone for me.

Thanks for your help....or if anyone has additional suggestions please reply..
    Michele :)
    My son is Pepe Marius' 1st Great Grandchild..miss him terribly! Please, when you see him, give him many XO's from me & Christian...Merci :eagerness:

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2005 Glen Cove, NY Posts: 6,084
    I have purchased unlocked RAZR's from both Amazon and Tiger Direct. I would do some comparison shopping and order accordingly. While there are several versions of these phones available, I would pick the least expensive because they will all do the job as an SBH phone and as an inexpensive home market phone. Just make sure you get a Quad Band GSM model.

Phil

SBH New Member Joined: Sep 2013 Southport, NC Posts: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    Ellen turned me on to Magic Jack, a free app for my iphone.I just made a couple of calls to the US, which calls are apparently free of charge and have great clarity of connection. My RAZR phone with Dauphin Sim is okay for talking on the island, but the reception was terrible when calling the US. One drawback to using Magic Jack is that folks in the US probably can't call back free to St. Barth using the number on their caller ID.
    Is your RAZR activated in the US? I only want to use the RAZR as a travel phone; use sim cards from whatever country I am in. However, do you know if this would mean that I would need to purchase a local plan along with sim card to use on St. Barth?

Thanks again...M
    My son is Pepe Marius' 1st Great Grandchild..miss him terribly! Please, when you see him, give him many XO's from me & Christian...Merci :eagerness:

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2005 Glen Cove, NY Posts: 6,084
    SBH does not have monthly plans like we do in the states. You buy what you need at the cellular store or in most of the groceries, and what you get is a code that you load into the phone. Rates are about 40 EU cents per minute for local calls. I find I use about 10 Eu per week, mostly to make restaurant reservations and to call on Island friends. Refills are typically 5, 10, 20, 30, 50, or 100 EU, and each amount also has a time limit. As an example, a 10 Eu refill usually has a 30 day expiration. BTW, an unlocked phone is activated by whatever SIM card you install, whenever you install it.

There are several providers on the Island. Orange is the biggest with the best coverage, but they don't guarantee to hold your number if there is no activity for 90 consecutive days. There are others that don't have that limitation, but for some reason I've gone blank on the names. Hopefully Kevin will jump in and bail me out.

Finally remembered the other carrier that doesn't expire your number, and it's Dauphine. I think, with them, as long as you make 1 call in a year, your number is safe.

Phil

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 4,769
    Michelle---just another fyi: I bought a RAZR for use in SBH, and was planning to go the same route as Phil, Kevin, etc. I bought it from EBay or Amazon (don't remember), and the price was good. However, it was a piece of junk when it arrived---was supposed to be in "good" condition", and the battery was dead/not rechargeable. After spending $30-40 or so---I just decided to buy one when we got to SBH, and spend the $ 70 or so, which included the SIM and 20 minutes or so of minutes.....rather than worrying about getting another dud. Just my experience, and others have had better luck.......
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room :)

Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Boston Posts: 19,856
    I have an unlocked Quad-band RAZR, purchased new via Amazon, which I use only for telephone calls and SMS. Being unlocked, I can put any carrier's SIM card in it. I do not use it in the US. I have a pre-paid SIM card that I purchased from Dauphin Telecom (next to Boulangerie Choisy in Gustavia) that I use on St Barth. I add €10 to it every few trips, generally on 2-for-1 top-up days, and that seems to hold me quite well.

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2005 Sarasota, Florida Posts: 1,773
    Man, I miss "Sorry, no telephone" more than ever now......

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2007 Detroit Posts: 13,140
    Quote Originally Posted by PIRATE40 View Post
    Man, I miss "Sorry, no telephone" more than ever now......
    D'accord.

Name:  Chip3(a)-Dump- 001.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  60.8 KB

When on a pleasure trip, this is my portable phone.

Name:  Hello 001a.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  98.4 KB
    Yeah, Yeah - IMHO

SBH Insider Joined: May 2005 Posts: 1,498
    +1 !

Sorry, no telephone, no internet, no email, no fax, no facebook, no twitter, no google mail/plus/map/phone/calendar, no youtube, no whatsapp, no skype, no text free, no magic jack, no razr, no iphone, no blackberry, no ipad, no macbook, no icloud, no dropbox, no sim card, no wifi, no 4G, no 3G, no 2G, no EDGE, no GPRS, no bluetooth, no cell, no GPS, no signal....

I wonder if we really know what it means nowadays?.... imagine this, just for a minute.

Just a few years ago, not that long ago, we lived like this without much trouble.

But today, for a strange reason, we feel that we​ MUST be "connected" 24/7, no matter where or how.

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2004 Helsinki, Finland Posts: 7,970
    Name:  Internet-Is-Not-Working.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  26.3 KB

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 25,627
    Purr...ecious, Petri. Adorable
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 11,048
    What Kevin said
    "St. Bart's is Crack for Vacations." Credit given to EDW

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Saint Barth Posts: 10,262
    the world has changed, gotta go with the flow...

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2005 Sarasota, Florida Posts: 1,773
    Go for it...I refuse to participate.......About 6,990,000 results (0.47 seconds)

Search Results

1. jimmy buffett - Everybody's On The Phone - Take The ... - YouTube