Miami Beach - restaurants

As do I. Steve has great suggestions.I am just thinking you might take advantage of an asset in your hotel.

We like Casa Tua. It is in the SoBe area and a little tricky to find so make sure you have the exact address if you go. It is considered one of the most romantic in Miami. Also, Makoto at the Bal Harborshops is very very good. The chef trained under Morimoto. Also, I have heard great things lately about Azul at the Mandarin Oriental. We were at Azul years ago but not since they added a new chef. Hope this helps.

Definitely will do. I've wanted to try J&G here too so if he doesn't want to do another can ride, we may do that. Casa Tua looks ideal though! We went to Carpaccio across the street at Bal Harbour shops our first night and that was amazing! The Italian restaurants here seem top notch.

So, we went to J&G Grille at the St. Regis. The atmosphere was incredible. Service was also very good. We did the 5 course tasting for $75 plus we had the wine pairings. The main entree really blew it- a filet that was cooked too hard/ seared-charred on a thin cut with no real flavor. The other courses were quite good and the dessert was phenom. $300 with 18% grat included- did not feel like a $300 meal. We felt we ordered wrong and should have ordered off the standard menu. We'd try it again as overall it was good.

I see what you meant about Ocean Dr. restaurants! Bah! I was glad to only be visiting SoBe for a day.

I'm sad that your experience was not spot on at J & G.. I know Jean-Georges was there the night we ate there as I saw him. That may or may not have accounted for the good meal we had.

We went back to that Carpaccio for lunch on our final day. That place is really awesome for authentic italian and for people/car watching! Lots of 2 and 3 generation family meals happening around us.

Not sure if you're still there but we had great meals at:

Dutch (higher end)
Yardbird (more casual)

Both were very enjoyable and I'd go back in a heartbeat These were in the northern end of South Beach near the Convention Center area.

There was also this cool old school Italian place near there that was fantastic. I'm not sure of the name, it may be Osteria del Teatro (it looks to be in the right place on the map), but it was very small and charming and had some great food too.

..A little fact update on Stone crabs. For years it was thought that removing both claws would leave the crab defensless....and it does, BUT, it was discoverd that with both claws removed, the crab was forced to eat only seagrass and other vegetaion, and the change in diet produced more fertile females and more offspring, as well as the claws regenerating faster. It also left the females defenseless against horny male crabs resulting in more sucessfull sexual encounters...so the loss from being defenseless was minimal compared to all the extra little ones being created....The law was changed this season allowing both claws of mature crabs to be taken.

If the harvest increases, same crabs twice the claws surrendered, will the price come down?

I'm not sure the price will come down, but the male crab population might be willing to subsidize the harvest.

Phil

it could but thats only half the equation

supply and demand together ..like anything else

thats what ultimately determines price

what the fishmonger has for orders versus what is coming in from the boats

thats why its VERY important to be amongst the first ones to come in and sell before a firm market is established and prices are still up....it why I sell my striped bass at 4 A.M. when I know its been a big night out there for everyone....by 9 A.M. the market will be flooded and the price could be a buck less a pound ..but thats based on non stop high demand for bass which always exists for that fish as well

Doubt it...stone crabs don't freeze and need to be consumed ...plus, like last year here, all those extra stoners brought in masses of octupi..and guess what their favorite food is.....