Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Miami Beach - restaurants

Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Boston Posts: 19,449
    Quote Originally Posted by phil62
    If you want to take a nice drive and have a good lunch, I recommend Charlie's Crab in Palm Beach. It's right on A1A and across the street from the beach.

Phil

If you want to take a longer drive, take Rt 1 to the south, follow it to Key West, and have dinner at Louie's Backyard. Louie's Backyard is one of the best restaurants in the South, but the 4-hour drive to and from dinner might be a bit more than you're up for.

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Stinson Lake - New Hampshire & Provincetown - Cape Cod Posts: 52,003
    Louies Backyard....ah yes...NOW you're talking
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2004 Charlotte, NC Posts: 2,404
    Mike- lol, I want to stay in SoBe! And more... Top of the Rock than Hideaway... No offense! Luv ya! ;-)
    Ashley (formerly "AHowell")

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Stinson Lake - New Hampshire & Provincetown - Cape Cod Posts: 52,003
    ever been to Louie's???.....its top end

dont let the name fool you..

http://www.louiesbackyard.com/
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

Juvia's was too clubby or "posers" as Todd would say. We were seated and then left before ordering. Very noisy club music outdoors on the terrace seating. My god, we must be getting old?! Sort of like the old "Zanzibarth" maybe? Even more hip/trendy though. So...we ended up at Michael's Genuine Food & Drink in the design district. Very cool and great food! Thanks again, Steve!!!

SBH Member Joined: Jan 2012 Naples, FL Posts: 53
    You made the right decision when you went to Michael's. Happy you liked it as well as Michy's.

BTW- we found J & G Grill at the St Regis to be very good as well. Jean-Georges has done a nice job IMO.

On other recommendations for Ocean Drive area, Steve?

I have never had a dinner on Ocean Drive I would regard as memorable. I have heard that BLT Steak in the Betsy Hotel is very good but I have not eaten there. Are you committed to Ocean Drive?

Something around there...? Around the corner or bend is fine. Or we may end up down there for lunch so how about just a good last night spot somewhere near Bal Harbour even? (Have you been to Adriana in Surfside?)Rainy, overcast today... Thanks so much!

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 25,063
    You might want to have a chat with your concierge-they specialize in helping guests discover fine dining spots!
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

But I like Steve's reliable good taste! ;-)

As do I. Steve has great suggestions.I am just thinking you might take advantage of an asset in your hotel.

We like Casa Tua. It is in the SoBe area and a little tricky to find so make sure you have the exact address if you go. It is considered one of the most romantic in Miami. Also, Makoto at the Bal Harborshops is very very good. The chef trained under Morimoto. Also, I have heard great things lately about Azul at the Mandarin Oriental. We were at Azul years ago but not since they added a new chef. Hope this helps.

You may also want to check out "Eater Miami" as they rank their top 38.

Thanks!! I have heard of Casa Tua alot. I'm on it!

Yep- I've seen that. I was looking at a few on there.

Let me know where you go and how you enjoyed it.

Definitely will do. I've wanted to try J&G here too so if he doesn't want to do another can ride, we may do that. Casa Tua looks ideal though! We went to Carpaccio across the street at Bal Harbour shops our first night and that was amazing! The Italian restaurants here seem top notch.

So, we went to J&G Grille at the St. Regis. The atmosphere was incredible. Service was also very good. We did the 5 course tasting for $75 plus we had the wine pairings. The main entree really blew it- a filet that was cooked too hard/ seared-charred on a thin cut with no real flavor. The other courses were quite good and the dessert was phenom. $300 with 18% grat included- did not feel like a $300 meal. We felt we ordered wrong and should have ordered off the standard menu. We'd try it again as overall it was good.

Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Boston Posts: 19,449
    Louie's Backyard was only a 4-hour drive away...

I see what you meant about Ocean Dr. restaurants! Bah! I was glad to only be visiting SoBe for a day.

I'm sad that your experience was not spot on at J & G.. I know Jean-Georges was there the night we ate there as I saw him. That may or may not have accounted for the good meal we had.

We went back to that Carpaccio for lunch on our final day. That place is really awesome for authentic italian and for people/car watching! Lots of 2 and 3 generation family meals happening around us.

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2009 Alexandria, VA Posts: 5,254
    Not sure if you're still there but we had great meals at:

Dutch (higher end)
    Yardbird (more casual)

Both were very enjoyable and I'd go back in a heartbeat These were in the northern end of South Beach near the Convention Center area.

There was also this cool old school Italian place near there that was fantastic. I'm not sure of the name, it may be Osteria del Teatro (it looks to be in the right place on the map), but it was very small and charming and had some great food too.

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2005 Sarasota, Florida Posts: 1,761
    ..A little fact update on Stone crabs. For years it was thought that removing both claws would leave the crab defensless....and it does, BUT, it was discoverd that with both claws removed, the crab was forced to eat only seagrass and other vegetaion, and the change in diet produced more fertile females and more offspring, as well as the claws regenerating faster. It also left the females defenseless against horny male crabs resulting in more sucessfull sexual encounters...so the loss from being defenseless was minimal compared to all the extra little ones being created....The law was changed this season allowing both claws of mature crabs to be taken.
    "Yes I am a Pirate"

thats hilarious...

and very cool

If the harvest increases, same crabs twice the claws surrendered, will the price come down?

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2005 Glen Cove, NY Posts: 6,049
    I'm not sure the price will come down, but the male crab population might be willing to subsidize the harvest.

Phil

it could but thats only half the equation

supply and demand together ..like anything else

thats what ultimately determines price

what the fishmonger has for orders versus what is coming in from the boats

thats why its VERY important to be amongst the first ones to come in and sell before a firm market is established and prices are still up....it why I sell my striped bass at 4 A.M. when I know its been a big night out there for everyone....by 9 A.M. the market will be flooded and the price could be a buck less a pound ..but thats based on non stop high demand for bass which always exists for that fish as well

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2005 Sarasota, Florida Posts: 1,761
    Doubt it...stone crabs don't freeze and need to be consumed ...plus, like last year here, all those extra stoners brought in masses of octupi..and guess what their favorite food is.....
    "Yes I am a Pirate"