• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Movie – Vanishing Sail

KevinS

Senior Insider
There is a movie currently in production called Vanishing Sail. It tells the story of the hand-crafted Carriacou Sloops, West Indies Schooners, and trading by sail in the West Indies.

The Carriacou Sloops and West Indies Schooners are the boats that were in St Barth last weekend for the West Indies Regatta, and the Regatta is how I found out about this film.

St Barth was a key port in West Indies trade. The film trailer speaks of smuggling alcohol and cigarettes, but island people have also told me about salt being smuggled, as well as cattle being “baptized” on St Barth before going on to another island.

The filmmakers are currently trying to raise $48,000 in additional funding through Kickstarter.com in order to finish the movie. Kickstarter works on an all-or-nothing basis - either the project receives pledges totaling at least 100% of the goal, or no funding is done. As of this morning, approximately $33,000 out of the $48,000 had been pledged, with 8 days left to go.

From their funding webpage on Kickstarter.com:
“Filmed in the Grenadines, Vanishing Sail tells the story of trading by sail in the West Indies, and follows a community of boat builders in Carriacou who struggle to maintain their tenuous grip on a dying skill. Through a collection of dramatic sailing scenes, rare archival footage and unprecedented interviews with the last old, Caribbean Sea Captains, Vanishing Sail seeks to preserve the legacy of boatbuilding in the Grenadines, first introduced by Scottish settlers in the 19th century.

Crafted on the beach, with skills passed down the generations, these schooners and sloops worked the trade winds, fishing and carrying cargo - including contraband from St. Barthelemy where the smuggling trade in alcohol and cigarettes thrived until the 1970's.”

I think that this is an interesting project, a film worth making, and I have made a pledge.

RI Yachting’s page about the project:
http://www.riyachting.com/vanishing-sail

The Kickstarter.com page to view the Trailer and for project funding:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/773901300/vanishing-sail

This is a great project spearheaded by my friend Alexis Andrews who also organizes the West Indies Regatta we had this past weekend. I have also made a pledge and the next few days are really essential to the success of their Kickstart program so please take a look.. and we hope to have the premiere of the film at our festival next year... they showed the trailer on the dock Saturday evening, looks great!

I've been following this on FaceBook. Looks like a wonderful project, and I plan to pledge also.

I just made my pledge....they have a little over $13 K to go to fund the project by May 17th. If they don't reach their goal, all pledges will be returned...I DO hope this makes it!

...if you pledge $ 250 +, you can land a spot on a West Indies Regatta boat. How great would that be??!!!

RickyG said:
I like that ride on the boat pledge.....contacted them to see if I could do it in 2013.
:up:

Would be GREAT to see your photos from this!!! I bet I can talk Tom into being there for you when you step off the boat!

I just upped my pledge and it looks they are only about 3K short of goal... so if everybody have a little, they'd have a lot....

I am so very happy for you, Ricky. Good move. And we get to see the pictures-they get to make the film. A Win Win in my book

And they are over their goal by 3K!

Attachments

• Screen_Shot_2012-05-12_at_9.06.16_AM.jpg
    Screen_Shot_2012-05-12_at_9.06.16_AM.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 356