• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Attack of the Seaweed

Skateboard Phil

Senior Insider
Not sure if it is global warming or some new plague that we forgot to mention in our passover cedar but we have found that many of the beaches Saline, Petite Anse a bit in Gouvenor has recently been befouled by scratchy yellow seaweed. And on Saline it was everywhere! Really decreases the quality of my favorite beach. But...what can you do? Anybody know whats up?

ocean currents aren't static...they shift...and it looks like this is ( has been ) the by product of a shift.....

Oh, no. We get there in 3 days and hadn't heard much about the seaweed for a while. Is it like it was in earler posts where the beaches are inundated?

There were reports earlier in the year about large "blooms" of seaweed from the Saragasso sea headed toward the Caribbean. Seems to be a fair amount in St.Jean from the webcam. When I was there last December, seemed like a constant and losing battle to clean it up.

Oh no! I hope it doesn't decide to take up residence on the beaches. We spend a lot of money for this one beach vacation a year!

you'll always be able to find a beach seaweed clear...for instance I already know Colombier is clear...the same forces pushing it one way are going to push it the opposite way some where else..

I just hope the "forces" push it somewhere besides Saline on Gouveneur the week I'm there! Colombier is nice, but I don't know that I would want to do that hike everyday because we make a day of it, usually from 11-5 at the beach, and have quite a heavy cooler. On the other hand, it would be a good way to work off some of our dinners and beverages!

yeah I gotcha...well its out of our control so we will see how it plays out.....living right at the entrance to the Colombier walking path we go out there all the time....no big thing...my morning usually starts with a walk out there.... a swim....a walk back and then head to the bakery...

I am certainly going to need it...unlike any other previous trip I am starting this trip already over my usual weight, as I had to stop working out 6 weeks ago due to knee injury/surgery...

and now with St Barts right on the horizon I am probably going to go home blown up like a wood tick

yeah so I guess we just have to work out harder when we get home...because we sure as hell arent going to eat/drink responsibly on vacation

for me fishing just sheds the pounds anyway - so I should be ok

I have been carb free for 48 hrs training for my daily croissant. We have had the conversation about blowing up for days. But like my daughter says, "just because it is there, doesnt mean you have to eat in". Ya right

I dont need to go carb free...thats just a fad thing anyway.....I lose 15 pounds fishing every summer...no substitute for good hard work for losing weight as far as I am concerned.....

but no doubt about it - all this not very typical sedentary living for me due to this &^*&^% knee is having its effects.....

and I have no chance of being disciplined in SBH......none...

I usually try to fit in an extra gym day a week the month before we go to be proactive. I figure if I lose a few pounds beforehand, it will be okay to regain them that week.

Anyone to beaches latley, are the weeds excessive?
Is saline so bad we should stay away. Thanks to anyone who replys. New to board.