Thread: Cannolis are in the house

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Stinson Lake - New Hampshire & Provincetown - Cape Cod Posts: 52,003
    from scratch....

Attached Images Attached Images
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

SBH Member Joined: Apr 2003 Easton, Ct Posts: 197
    Mike - did you use lemon juice or vinegar for the ricotta. Lost my recipe and made it the other day with buttermilk, milk & heavy cream. Took too long to curdle. Will redo this week for Easter any suggestions?
    Diane

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Stinson Lake - New Hampshire & Provincetown - Cape Cod Posts: 52,003
    I used the juice from one whole medium lemon....

and 1/2 gallon raw milk, which of course gets Pasteurized in the process
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

Thanks! Thats what I was thinking I would use
    How about the cannoli filling what do you add for that, do you make your own shells... never made them before sounds like a new project!
    Diane

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2002 Philadelphia Posts: 43,802
    The shells are homemade? I used to make the shells but I can't find the steel cylinders. I like the Italian cream filling best.

Andy

yes Wendi made them...what a PITA....

and I like cream filled too....but I like these as well..and this was my last half gallon of raw milk as my CSA ended this week so we figured what the heck, lets make cannoli with it..

it was a real challenge doing something with the raw milk every week to make the milk 100% safe

Quote Originally Posted by DAL
    Thanks! Thats what I was thinking I would use
    How about the cannoli filling what do you add for that, do you make your own shells... never made them before sounds like a new project!
    we add different things each time....this time was cinnamon..nutmeg..zest of a clementine, a dash of vanilla extract, and a dash of Anisette

dont make the shells...its a PITA...and you have to have the Cannoli tube mold...just go to a bakery and get empty shells

I agree that making the shells is brutal- have to wrap them around the form at exactly the right moment. I make ricotta for work and add some of your Light Maple syrup to it for a snack.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Andynap
    I make ricotta for work and add some of your Light Maple syrup to it for a snack.

oh man that sounds good!!!

thats kind of what I do everyday for lunch...open a plain Fage fat free yogurt and add some maple syrup to it

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2002 Toronto, Canada Posts: 1,958
    Quote Originally Posted by Andynap
    The shells are homemade? I used to make the shells but I can't find the steel cylinders. I like the Italian cream filling best.
    Cannoli forms...
    http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-3660-St.../dp/B000LBU1VQ

Thanks Gayle- I meant I can't find them here at home. They are around somewhere but since I don't intend to make the shells anymore they can stay lost. I can see my son going thru our things when we are gone and saying: What the hell are these for?

Andy

I just watched David Rocco's Amalfi on the Cooking Channel just amazing. I had recorded the series and watched today, he went to a buffala farm and watched them make mozzarella, went to a restaurant and helped cook. Great show. Gotta get back to Italy soon! I was planning to make mozzarella this week anyway so it gave me a lesson in how to do it. Wish me luck any tips will be welcome since I have never done it before.
    Diane

I think I have those tubes as well. Probably won't attempt to make them myself but you never know which way the wind is blowing with me. Could get an inspiration and decide to do it.
    Diane

taking my Mom to Sicily to see family was an annual trip for me til 9/11 happened ...then Mom was too nervous to go...and now she is too old and frail to go.... }

one day I am bringing the girls to see it all....

I learned so much about cooking Italian from them and had so many over the top meals there

I think I have those tubes as well. Probably won't attempt to make them myself but you never know which way the wind is blowing with me. Could get an inspiration and decide to do it.

well if you do....wine has to go in the batter and you have to have beaten eggs ready as that is the glue which closes the shells when you overlap them

There is nowhere else that gives you that feeling except Italy. Been to a lot of places, but Italy is my favorite. My Grandparents were from Pozzuoli. No one treats you better than the Italians!!! (especially when you have an Italian last name)
    Diane

Thanks for the tip!
    Diane

There is nowhere else that gives you that feeling except Italy. Been to a lot of places, but Italy is my favorite. My Grandparents were from Pozzuoli. No one treats you better than the Italians!!! (especially when you have an Italian last name)

the only downside was the northern Italians ( north of Rome ) would look at my Mom like she was a cretin when she would speak with the southern dialect...but yes its a wonderful place for sure...

I just watched David Rocco's Amalfi on the Cooking Channel just amazing. I had recorded the series and watched today, he went to a buffala farm and watched them make mozzarella, went to a restaurant and helped cook. Great show.

Rocco was one of the judges on Iron Chefs last night and the secret ingredient was mozzarella. If you haven't made it before you have to keep it in hot water and keep stretching it and stretching it until it is silky smooth. Takes a while to do and you may not get it the first time.

Andy

Thanks Andy, I'll keep you posted!
    Diane

And I learned last night that part of Michael Symon's heritage is Sicily.

Andy