Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Medical Emergency in French

Moderator Joined: Jun 2003 Vélo, Virginia Posts: 16,823
    The discussion on what number to dial for a medical emergency on St. Barth inspired me to wonder what one should say to the responders in the event of such a situation. I think I could wing it with my pitiful French, but I'd like to her from French speakers as to what would be the proper phrases to use in such a telephone conversation.

P.S. For those who don't have French skills, I also recommend that you ask someone to write down for you in French the directions to your rental villa. I doubt if one says they're staying in villa "Valentine" that it would have much meaning at 2:00 am to the ambulance drivers.
    The best moderation is the least moderation.

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Stinson Lake - New Hampshire & Provincetown - Cape Cod Posts: 52,003
    J'ai une urgence une medicale sil vous plait aide que - je suis a ( and then finish with where you are at )

that how I would say it....but I havent checked with my resident expert to confirm it as correct

spelling is probably wrong too....
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 51,677
    Je suis tombé et je ne peux pas me lever. Champagne gratuit à l'hôtel Le Village Hôtel Saint-Jean.
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party -- June 5, 2023

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Saint Barth Posts: 10,224
    LOL

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Stinson Lake - New Hampshire & Provincetown - Cape Cod Posts: 52,003
    +1
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2004 Charlotte, NC Posts: 2,404
    iJean sounds like he is having too much fun on the isle!
    Ashley (formerly "AHowell")

AIDE!!!..Je suis tombe avec mon Carib et je ne peux pas me lever

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2004 NYC Posts: 17,991
    Quote Originally Posted by tim
    The discussion on what number to dial for a medical emergency on St. Barth inspired me to wonder what one should say to the responders in the event of such a situation. I think I could wing it with my pitiful French, but I'd like to her from French speakers as to what would be the proper phrases to use in such a telephone conversation.

P.S. For those who don't have French skills, I also recommend that you ask someone to write down for you in French the directions to your rental villa. I doubt if one says they're staying in villa "Valentine" that it would have much meaning at 2:00 am to the ambulance drivers.
    We printed up fridge magnets one year at the beach, listing emergency numbers other than 911 to call...ie, local MD, Fire Dept, Cops, etc. etc...(the 911 operators on the mainland are not as familiar with Fire Island as they could be...)

It dawned on me...Mr. Prepared, who travels with duct tape, zip ties, velcro, etc etc....that I just spent time on the island with my granddaughter....who, if she fell ill, other than scooping her up and driving to the hospital...was uninformed as to how to summon emergency help...

It would be a wonderful idea....for ALL the villa rental agencies, not just WIMCO...to either print stickers for the phones in their villas or somewhere else with precisely this info. When it hits the fan, you don't want to be thumbing thru restaurant/massage pages looking for the info.

AAMAF, SBHOnline could simply make a PDF of same and make it available on the site....no?
    Neutral and Witty.

good point Fred and all those numbers are on my ski condo rental refrigerators....

Senior Insider Joined: Apr 2004 Austin, TX Posts: 9,420
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCFred

AAMAF, SBHOnline could simply make a PDF of same and make it available on the site....no?

Good idea.

With the SBH Online logo: $12.95.

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2004 NYC Posts: 17,991
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis

Good idea.

Does Obamacare pay? I mean, it's medical and all that....
    Neutral and Witty.

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2005 flamands Posts: 4,671
    always remember to just dial number 18 and nothing else, nothing before it like 590 or 690

after dialing 18, I have done this twice since I have been on the island. once because I came upon a motorcyclist that had spun out and was laying in the middle of the road.

on both occasions I was able to speak english and they responded in english. perhaps I was just lucky and happened to call when there was someone on duty that spoke english but I don't think so.

I do know the fire department at the airport has required that the firemen learn english, and most of them speak it well enough to know what you are talking about. didier's brother is a fireman at the airport and rosemond's brother works there also.

I also agree that you should know directions to your villa as well, because giving the name of the villa may be useless and it might cost precious time.

Senior Insider Joined: Apr 2004 Austin, TX Posts: 9,420
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis

Good idea.

Does Obamacare pay? I mean, it's medical and all that....

I know you've been away awhile but no mixing forums.

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2005 Cambridge, MA Posts: 7,352
    If I ever had a medical emergency on the island, I would do my best to get to the hospital as quickly as possible by either driving myself or asking for a ride. I realize at times medical situations dictate that a person should NOT be moved. The island is small. In many cases a person could make it to the hospital in Gustavia sooner than it would take to make a call, have it forwarded to the correct facility, have help dispatched and then have them actually find you.

I was horrified when I read that it took almost 30 minutes for the gendarmes to arrive to assist the woman who was stabbed last year in St. Jean. She ended up dying from her injuries. I don't know if more prompt medical care would have saved her or not, but severe bleeding with delayed medical attention certainly limited her chances for survival. After reading that tragic story, I decided there was no way I would wait for medical help to arrive on the island if somebody could get me to Gustavia more quickly.

Liberté, Égalité, Sororité

SBH Insider Joined: Jun 2008 Boston Posts: 8,036
    We must be an aging population of sbh visitors.

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2005 Glen Cove, NY Posts: 6,065
    You are absolutely right, Jeanette. Amy had eye issues on two separate trips last year, and I took her to the hospital where she received prompt and more than satisfactory care. Unless a person just can't be moved, that's the first place to go.

Phil

SBH Insider Joined: Aug 2003 New Hampshire Posts: 6,937
    Jeanette, you and I think alike..this is the best solution IMHO
    Emma Peel: I suppose Mother warned you about women like me?
    John Steed: Until now, I didn't know there were women like you.

SBH Insider Joined: May 2005 Posts: 1,498
    Always provide:

-your name
    -your location (important)
    -your phone number (equally important)
    -the medical situation (short description)

Bonjour, ceci est une urgence médicale

-Mon nom est: "John Smith"
    -Je suis à la Villa Romance, Lorient, St Barth (agence WIMCO)
    -Mon téléphone est 0590 27 55 55
    -Le blessé est un homme, 55 ans, conscient, respire, immobilisé, tombé dans les escaliers, a mal à la jambe droite

The first 3 lines are easy to say. The 4th line depends on the situation and obviously many different scenarios are possible. Always try to pass on the following details: sex, age, conscious?, breathing?, heartbeat?, what happened?

If French does not work for you, English should work as well (most Doctors/ paramedics speak English). You could always start your message with:
    -Parlez-vous Anglais?

Note: the operator answering 15, 18 :) , or 112 will always ask the questions above as this is part of their protocol.

SBH Insider Joined: May 2005 Posts: 1,498
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette
    If I ever had a medical emergency on the island, I would do my best to get to the hospital as quickly as possible by either driving myself or asking for a ride. I realize at times medical situations dictate that a person should NOT be moved. The island is small. In many cases a person could make it to the hospital in Gustavia sooner than it would take to make a call, have it forwarded to the correct facility, have help dispatched and then have them actually find you.
    A wise note, however one needs to be careful with car or 2-wheeled accidents as the spine might have been hurt (which is very often the case). In this situation, as you said, it's better NOT to move the patient because you could even make more damages. The paramedics will know how to handle the situation, even if you have to wait a little. It really depends on the situation.

Also, IMHO we should all learn basic CPR... but that's another topic all together...

Islander, Thank you; that's what I was seeking.

SBH Insider Joined: May 2004 St Barts of Course Posts: 1,576
    Might I hazard that if you are calling emergency services yourself you have chosen the wrong agency or villa owner?

In the UK (where we are now also based) it is illegal to sell a vacation without appropriate support in any given destination.

And what agency might it be that gives 24 hour phone support for medical emergencies on St. Barth?

All of the serious ones....I can think of at least four, the others, I honestly don't know but they probably do.

In fact, it's a very good question to pose before confirming a reservation, no?

Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Boston Posts: 19,627
    And what agency might it be that gives 24 hour phone support for medical emergencies on St. Barth?
    I've got JimD, Rosita, and JP's mobile numbers. Do I need additional support?

Jim,

List the four that you know, and I'm expecting one of them to be yours.

I pick up the phone and dial 0 and I get Suger in his office...after hours dial 9 and I get Suger in his home...

cant ask for more than that.

and in the low rent district no less....LOL

the flipside is my renters only get my cell phone number.....some of these people would call an emergency not knowing the snow forecast or what wax to use on their skis....

Sweet!

Jim,

List the four that you know, and I'm expecting one of them to be yours.
    That would be

Premium Island Vacations
    Sibarth
    Wimco
    Ici et La

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 51,677
    WIMCO does.
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party -- June 5, 2023

At the end of the day, this is a bit of a non topic (sorry Tim) as long as you have done your research before travelling.

It isn't as if you are travelling up the jungle with no roads or phones and everyone speaks only Javanese.

I've never heard of anyone being stuck injured alone in a rental villa without being able to access emergency services.

Most people don't travel alone for a start, and banging on a neighbours door is always an option.

Hospital (Hôpital)
    Accident
    Doctor
    Urgent (Urgence)
    Ambulance
    Telephone

Are all perfectly good French words