Cat story- continued

andynap

Senior Insider
Well up early with Max to go to the Vet Dentist with a CD of Xrays and his full chart. He was a little disturbed at not eating or drinking water since last night and knew something was up because he walked right into his carrier.
The ride was about 45 minutes and he was quiet the whole time- normally he talks to me all the time. The vet looked at the xrays and Max's mouth and pronounced that all the teeth had to go and Max might have cancer of the jaw- talk about a punch in the face- good lord.
He didn't do well under anesthesia last week and this was going to be a 3 1/2 hour surgery. The vet took about 30 minutes going over everything so here we go. I said goodbye to my 13 year old buddy to wait at home for a phone call. The vet called at 11 and said that from the looks of it Max doesn't have cancer but wanted to biopsy the bone and tissue anyway- hey in for a dime in for a $$$$$$$. After 4 hours I got the call that everything went well and Max was awake and doing fine. I'll pick him up tomorrow. I guess he will be on wet food from now on. His new name will be Gummy- LOL

Andy - as a pet lover myself I am happy to hear of your friend's clear diagnosis. There are worse things than losing your teeth (animal world and human!) Max and/or Gummy lives on, sans choppers, to snuggle more and most likely eat gourmet, soft cat food!

Max gets to be the pampered pet-good for all of you and thanks for the news and update.

Hi andy

Happy to hear that he's not likely to have cancer. We had a cat, Misha, that lived to the ripe old age of 24 years old. Over the years she lost all of her teeth and was apparently deaf EXCEPT she could hear a can of cat food being opened from a mile away. She died peacefully in her sleep at a ripe old age.

Our "gummy" had no problem eating her soft food for several years after she lost her teeth. Your kitty will be fine.

Thanks all. Just got a call that Max is comfortable and on pain meds. They will try the soft food at 6 but no big deal if he doesn't eat. I'll call again at 8.

Pain meds are a good thing.Now, have some wine and you and Phyllis relax a bit. Sounds like a happy ending.

Good to hear it.
I'm certain he's in excellent, albiet expensive care. At least your SBH trips are short.
My wife tells me several in her Medical School class were there because they failed in acceptance the Vet Program.
Fact: you have to be smart to attend Vet School.

Interesting that the vet told me that dentistry is an optional course in vet school. So if your vet never had dentistry do they know what they are looking at? Who knew? The cat's vet gave me a choice of 4 dentists- all went to U of Penn Veterinary School- the best- IMO.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, and lots of soft treats.....the whole VA clan, including large and small doggies, send our get-well greetings!

Our gummy cat did just fine. He was even able to gum-down on kibbles after awhile. It was such a relief when he no longer winced every time he tried to chew on those bad teeth. Lots of love to Max!

Andy, wishing your Max a painless recovery. We have spent many $$$ at the veterinary hospital for dental care for our felines--money well-spent. Our cats have managed fine post-procedures and some with fewer teeth. They are remarakably resourceful.

Our vet is a Upenn undergrad and vet school grad. They are amazing!

I concur with Amy's suggestion of some wine for you and Phyllis.