• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Carpark on the hillside of Gustavia

Well, I must admit that I am pleasantly surprised to see a car rental company agree with some of my suggestions (namely, the restriction on the import of new automobiles).

It is also interesting to consider how some other islands deal with the problem. Bermuda (which has about 2,5x the land but 8x the population of St Barth), for example, has several restrictions : visitors aren't allowed to drive at all (i.e., no rental cars), cars are limited in size, and only one car per household.

Personally, I wouldn't suggest forbidding visitors from driving. Part of the appeal of St Barth is freedom and that includes the freedom to drive if one chooses. Still, I imagine that many visitors would prefer the freedom to drink freely that comes sans voiture. More options = more freedom.

In that scenario, the rental car industry could shift from quantity to quality. Assuming the masses opt for busses, taxis, etc, then the rental agencies could target high-end customers (the type who wouldn't be caught dead on a bus). Who wouldn't prefer to see, for example, 100 Land Rovers versus 1,000 Hyundais on the island?

;)

Always works for us.

med_1325712186-SBH-2008-Pix-1_056.jpg

I'm sure the rental of fleets of cars for peak season guests for a few days can make it tight. Still, parking around the periphery gives you the opportunity to walk a few blocks and discover all sorts of new stuff.

Attachments

• SBH-2008-Pix-1_056.jpg
    SBH-2008-Pix-1_056.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 35
Voosh said:
;)

Always works for us.

med_1325712186-SBH-2008-Pix-1_056.jpg

I'm sure the rental of fleets of cars for peak season guests for a few days can make it tight. Still, parking around the periphery gives you the opportunity to walk a few blocks and discover all sorts of new stuff.

The parking was so congested on our last visit that there wasn't even space along the periphery. We did two loops around Gustavia before finally finding a spot just beyond Wall House.