• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Cheap Cell Phones

tim

From time to time we discuss the cheapest way to use cell phones on St. Barth, and this advert from today's "Le News" caught my eye. I assume it comes with a local(0690 xxxxxx) number, but I don't know that for sure.

Attachments

• cell.jpg
    cell.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 32
My original SBH mobile was a Dauphin package such as this, consisting of a cheap phone, a SIM card, and €10 of credit. I've since replaced the original phone with an unlocked Razr that I bought from Amazon.

The number will be an 0690 number, and will stay valid as long as you have credit remaining on the account. I keep an eye on Le News for the days when Dauphin advertises a 2-for-1 special, and every few trips I add another €10 to my credit balance on one of those days.

I also picked up a cheap phone package 5 or so years ago. As Kevin stated, as long as you keep time in your bank the phone stays active..... My phone works on SBH and SXM. I keep a "bla bla" card handy for calls home...

They have great pricing and the card worked in the unlocked Moto Razor I took down. I also use their Ipad card

BBT said:
They have great pricing and the card worked in the unlocked Moto Razor I took down. I also use their Ipad card

Me too. €25 for 2 weeks of unlimited data for my iPad is a steal compared to ATT's pricing.

Like Martin, I too use a Bla Bla card with my Dauphin mobile phone for cheap international calls. Dauphin's rates are cheaper than ATT's, but with a Bla Bla card they're even cheaper.

Tim, They also sell them at the gas station across from the airport and the internet cafe in Gustavia.

Tim,

The Bla Bla card is Dauphin Telecom's replacement for the old Intercard. You can buy 3-month cards at the Gas Station or at Dauphin Telecom (next to Boulangerie Choisy and diagonally across from St Barth Cafe (ex-Rotisserie)) on Roi Oscar III in Gustavia. At Dauphin you can also buy a reloadable Bla Bla card, which may not expire.

I think that BBT is joking about the blablaonline.com website.

Or you can go to "hot stuff" in gustavia on the wall house side and have your own cell unlocked for 30-35 euro and buy a sim at orange (the best service) and pay by credit. You can buy an orange card to top it up pretty much everywhere. and when you go back to the states just put your US sim back in.

Blah Blahs Do NOT expire even though they say they do....we make one call on the card when down there, the night before we are leaving....and our card is going on three years old

Mike R said:
Blah Blahs Do NOT expire even though they say they do....we make one call on the card when down there, the night before we are leaving....and our card is going on three years old

That would be my card that I sent you 2 years ago????

I'm not sure...I thought I paid it forward to someone...I seem to remember Wendi picking one up at the gas station

yeah we do have the iPad with us for music...I suppose that would be the way to go for us as well