With Holiday Season Entertaining Upon Us...

having been a Riedel, Baccarat, and Waterford dealer in my Colorado shop...I had a bunch of leftover inventory when we closed up to come back east...some of which is ( still ) selling on EBay...some of which we kept.....anyway we toss it all in the dishwasher and forget about it...and 4 years later it doesnt look any different than the day we took them out of the box.....

We are pretty casual but for holidays I like to use the good stuff. I'm also glad that I was taught the proper ways for those "just in case situations". One thing that I think is rude, wearing a hat to the dinner table when you're a guest! Niece's h.s. boyfriend got a fail grade from me at our meet & greet dinner...just my opinion.

As my mom said.."it can never hurt to be over dressed". of course these are the parents that sent me to ballroom dancing and etiquette classes in elementry school! lol

Dennis said:
Riedel glasses are known not only for their taste-enhancing capabilities, but also for their exquisite design. Keep them in tip top shape by following these tips for washing your glasses.

You will be happily surprised to know that all Riedel glassware is dishwasher safe, keeping a few precautions in mind:
- You should not overcrowd your dishwasher so that glassware is banging against other items.
- Some modern day dishwashers come with a stemware rack, if yours does you should utilize it.
- Remove glassware after the final rinse cycle. If left in during the dry cycle, residue in the steam will redeposit on the glasses.

This is good to know but I still don't think I'm going to risk it with my Riedels.

Nor I, Kristen. Only hand washing for my Waterford and Edinburgh crystal stemware as well.

The Wedgewood china gets loaded in the dishwasher with careful and thoughtful stacking aforehand..

LOL...I actually haven't done it either but have been tempted.

God knows I've broken enough of them trying to wash them in the sink!

Im tellin you...fire away...mine look no different...shiny and new....and they go through the whole cycle....and when I was selling them many of my customers said the same thing....

That looks like the 5 o'clock position to me on "finished" which is what I always thought it was for placement. It'd be a little odd and difficult to place utensils up in the 11 o'clock. (Yes, I am interested in this hoity-toity stuff!)

Luckily I don't know what Waterford, Edinburgh or Wedgewood are :)

How to use knife, fork and spoon and how to leave them on the plate are basic skills applied to every meal.

Wedgewood is fine porcelain china-Josiah Wedgewood was the founder. The blue with white cameo like designs on serving pieces and knick knacks was known as Jasperware- was very popular gift items.

The other two are fine stemware and crystal manufacturers. Products of Ireland and Scotland.

This is what women of a certain age yearned for as their tableware

We only used Riedel in the restaurant and it ALWAYS went through the dishwasher and still does in our house. I tried to bring a few glasses and champagne flutes to Paris via a Riedel carrier (but one glass broke). Bob has broken more trying to wash by hand. Wash in the dish machine -- we have never broken one. Drying - that is another story. End of the day -- it is not that expensive but MY does it improve the wine experience! Sante!!

Mike R said:
amen........no muss no fuss....done

havent lost a piece ever

I'm afraid my dear husband would attempt to help and load them in the dishwasher on top of one another.

Kara Brooks said:
We only used Riedel in the restaurant and it ALWAYS went through the dishwasher and still does in our house. I tried to bring a few glasses and champagne flutes to Paris via a Riedel carrier (but one glass broke). Bob has broken more trying to wash by hand. Wash in the dish machine -- we have never broken one. Drying - that is another story. End of the day -- it is not that expensive but MY does it improve the wine experience! Sante!!

Good to hear from a pro!

Kara,

Good to see ya here hope all is well.

I can appreciate the dangers of handwashing of crystal. Kathy never forgets to "ding" me about the little chip in one of our goblets that I introduced. The dishwasher on "china" setting with plenty of spacing saves me from that grief now. Since we are creatures of habit, we have extensively expanded our supply of Waterford Lismore that we got as a "starter kit" when we married all those years ago.

Clink. Clink. :)

Thanks for the background :)

We support local when it comes to the tableware.. most a very classic scandinavian design from the 50's:

.. is the classic expression of essential design thinking, with each object derived from the basic forms: circle, square or rectangle. As Kaj Franck [the designer] put it, “Colour is the only decoration needed.”

Just to be clear - this is Riedel not really fancy crystal that I advocate for the dish machine. That said - my advice for the nice stuff -- keep the boys with the big hands away from it!

Hi Kara!

Susie and I were just talking about a neighbor who forbids her sister-in-law to hand wash crystal in her house -- breakage. Life is too short not to use the crystal and then let who every wants to wash, wash it with vigor. After all, almost any pattern made in the last 75 years can be replaced. IMHO.