Boston by Train/rental car question

amyb said:
Take him for good Italian food in the North End.

I need to look at a map! Should we stay in Back Bay? Downtown? We will have the better part of one day to sightsee. Not much, but he's never been to a major city except for DC. I want him to get the "flavor" of a northeast city, so to speak. I was thinking Back Bay would be good for walking around, or Harvard Square.....but I'm no expert---far from it! I could use any suggestions for this brief trip...keeping budget within reason....

Restaurant-wise, he's fairly sophisticated (for a 13-year-old), and good italian food might be just the ticket! Any place in particular Amy, Mike, anyone?

in the North End

Diamianos
Giacomos
Artu's
Regina Pizza

and I rarely go out anywhere for Italian food ...but these I wouldnt hesitate

and if you want to stay in the North End I can get you in a beautiful apartment in the heart of the North End and a block from the water, for a song, if you are interested...its where we always go....PM me if that interests you

With a 13 year old, definitely Regina. That is always our stop after Logan when we fly back. But only cash, and only pizza. Not even a salad.
And Mike, I was being sarcastic about Harvard Square.
Unless her son was older and looking at schools. Jeanette and I had a fun guided tour by me around Cambridge.
Are you looking for a walking trip? Then take the Freedom Trail.

Eve aka coco2626 said:
With a 13 year old, definitely Regina. That is always our stop after Logan when we fly back. But only cash, and only pizza. Not even a salad.

and wine served in hi ball glasses...LOL

what a great throwback Regina is to the very kind of neighborhood joints I grew up eating in....we love the place

Eve---- I think I did that walking tour years ago! Might be a bit too cold in January... The Aquarium looks interesting ......and a trip to the top of the Prudential bldg. sounds great, too---- Probably look for something beyond pizza for our one dinner in the city:)

Just walk up and down hanover street in the North End and you will find tons of places.

Thank you, Kathy. That is the late great Jennifer, sailor of the seas, on an early morning in Colombier.

:up: :)

And Missy---thanks for the idea....the one thing I'm sure we will be doing in Boston is looking at the boats---my son is a fanatic about all things boat and ocean!

In January won't be much to see on the water. Aquarium is right on the harbor as is the Fanueil Hall area and Rose Kennedy Greenway (you could join the "Occupy" protesters down near South Station). The Constitution might be open. No harbor tours or duck boats. You could, however, ice skate on Frog Pond in public gardens.
Boston in Jan is pretty bleak and cold, even if not snowy.

John---thanks! I forgot about the Constitution----great idea. I'm expecting bleak weather.....doubt we will be "occupying Boston"LOL :)

Stephanies on Newbury Street is a good place. They have a great Mac and Cheese.

Either take Mike up on his offer or the back Bay for sure. It's so easy to get around.

she cant do the apartment I recommended..already rented to a couple in from London that week...too bad..she would have loved it

Nice to read your report, Andy!
Yes, too bad about the apt. that MikeR so kindly offered---but I rediscovered the benefits of having a corporate travel agent, who found us a very nice 2 BR suite at the Eliot in Back Bay---looks very nice, and the price was right :)
I will have fun looking at menus....Stephanies sounds great--mac n cheese, yum! However.....that marrow at La Voile sounds incredible. That could be a tipping point, if it's still on the menu, and if it looks like a good idea for a young man.....Great tips, all!