Thanksgiving at Wall House

Eve aka coco2626 said:
Did I put it in the wrong place?
I know, I know, that's what she said.

uh - I hate to break it to you, but its "thats what HE said"

do you need a trainers manual????

Anybody have a "tried and true" Butternut squash soup recipe you care to share?

For clarification purposes; I AM NOT A COOK! However, I am going to attempt this dish prior to the real deal. If it works, I shall bring it to our family dinner.

sure..its easy...I wont give you my curry one or anything fancy...just straight butternut soup...

skin a butternut....cube it...boil it in salted water til its almost falling apart...remove from the water...save the water...

in a good heavy soup pot melt some 1/4 stick of butter and a few ounces ofpeanut oil in the pot....cut a vidalia onion and a shallot and a clove of garlic up...saute until translucent...add a pint of either chicken stock or veggie stock...toss in all the soft squash...ladle in a few scoops of the water the squash boiled in.....let it simmer for a half hour..salt and pepper to taste...a pinch of coriander and a pinch of ginger......take a hand blender and stick in the pot and blend it til its nice and smooth....right before it gets served grate some fresh nutmeg over it and blend....

a dollop of either sour cream or creme fraiche in the middle and you can work it into the soup a little at a time as you are eating it

Mike R said:
sure..its easy...I wont give you my curry one or anything fancy...just straight butternut soup...

skin a butternut....cube it...boil it in salted water til its almost falling apart...remove from the water...save the water... Just one? What size? Boil for how long? Remember: I am not a cook so this stuff does not come naturally to me!

in a good heavy soup pot melt some 1/4 stick of butter and a few ounces ofpeanut oil in the pot....cut a vidalia onion and a shallot and a clove of garlic up...saute until translucent...add a pint of either chicken stock or veggie stock...toss in all the soft squash...ladle in a few scoops of the water the squash boiled in.....let it simmer for a half hour..salt and pepper to taste...a pinch of coriander and a pinch of ginger......take a hand blender and stick in the pot and blend it til its nice and smooth....right before it gets served grate some fresh nutmeg over it and blend....

a dollop of either sour cream or creme fraiche in the middle and you can work it into the soup a little at a time as you are eating it

fresh grated nutmeg is the key....not that powdered crap in a jar...

and nutmeg from Grenada ( I loaded up when I was there ) is really good

missy..depends on how many people you are cooking for....we do one good sized one for the three of us..we also do half butternut and half buttercup sometimes....and sometimes we do apple cider instead of stock...

but I digress

cook them on a slow boil til a butterknife goes through the chunks very easily

I did this soup last weekend.

I used 1 butternut and 1 acorn squash.

Average size plenty of soup.

Hard to peel these things.

The stick blender rocks!

Will need to feed about 15 people.

Hard to peel, you say, Menace? Any trick to getting this done easily? I know me and if ain't easy, it ain't happenin'!

it aint hard to peel with a sharp knife....

and yes Dennis stick blenders do rock..its all I ever use

15 people....figure 8 good sized squash

Mike, you are talking about someone who thinks cooking is having to open the box of cereal. Duckin