• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Bug Bites

steelpe

SBH Insider
We have been on the island for a few days now and are having a good time. One problem though, my wife has a very light skin and she is getting these welts on her legs from bug bites. For some reason they are attacking her and not me (I like that deal). Is there anything she can do to prevent this? Also, what can she do to make the welts feel better?

She has tried the off we brought from home which is a little old..... but still works at home. I have not use any bug spray at all. Part of the problem is that you can't even feel these guys when they bit you..

Benadryl spray works for me and I am sure that any island pharmacy can help you out with an equally good product.

We use "mosquito milk"roll on anti bite . Apply like deodorant. Easy as can be. Available at Black Swan in the St Jean shopping strip.

Try lavendar either cream or oil. I found this past summer by accident, the mosquitoes do not like lavendar. I would put it on my arms and legs and had almost no bites. The off was not working but the lavendar did. Also, tea tree oil for the bites really works wonders.

The pharmacies there sell a "Dapis stick".....small roll-one applicators (a little smaller than chapstick) that always have helped me for afterbites.

I second the lavender and especially the tea tree oil ( which works amazingly well on a variety of other aliments too )...

we picked up some stuff in a yellow tube in the Gustavia Pharmacy called Anti Moustique which worked well too

All good advice here - I have the same problem with the little critters and the welts are huge..can't feel a thing when they dive in! I hit the pharmacy and got an ointment that took the itch out immediately - they were very helpful. I use it here when I need it and it works better than anything. We use Deep Woods Off as a spray.

The pharmacies can be identified by the "Green Cross". There are three, one across from the airport, one in the same complex as Andy's Hideaway, and one at the entrance to Gustavia by Public. One should be open today.

It may not be mosquitos that are feasting on your bride's legs, but the little no-see-ums. They are obnoxious and, of course, you can't see um!

A tip for the next trip that works 100% for me: Avon Skin-So-Soft.

I hope she finds some relief soon!

Thanks for the help we will hit the pharmacy tomorrow. It's weird how they are attacking he and not me. I guess the old saying "You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar" is really true:)

I am wildly allergic to mosquito bites and the only thing that works for me is the Moutidose Gel Apaisant. You can usually find it at the pharmacy location entering Gustavia and occasionally at the pharmacy across from the airport.

casey

...Same for me and Kathie.....they drive her nuts and never bother with me.....the skin-so-soft suggestion is right on the money....