Thread: Bug Bites

SBH Member Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 375
    We have been on the island for a few days now and are having a good time. One problem though, my wife has a very light skin and she is getting these welts on her legs from bug bites. For some reason they are attacking her and not me (I like that deal). Is there anything she can do to prevent this? Also, what can she do to make the welts feel better?

She has tried the off we brought from home which is a little old..... but still works at home. I have not use any bug spray at all. Part of the problem is that you can't even feel these guys when they bit you..

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2002 Philadelphia Posts: 43,527
    The Pharmacies have bug spray and anti- histamines that will help with the bites

Andy

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 24,921
    Benadryl spray works for me and I am sure that any island pharmacy can help you out with an equally good product.

We use "mosquito milk"roll on anti bite . Apply like deodorant. Easy as can be. Available at Black Swan in the St Jean shopping strip.
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

SBH Member Joined: Apr 2003 Easton, Ct Posts: 197
    Try lavendar either cream or oil. I found this past summer by accident, the mosquitoes do not like lavendar. I would put it on my arms and legs and had almost no bites. The off was not working but the lavendar did. Also, tea tree oil for the bites really works wonders.
    Diane

SBH Insider Joined: Mar 2003 Albany, NY Posts: 2,792
    The pharmacies there sell a "Dapis stick".....small roll-one applicators (a little smaller than chapstick) that always have helped me for afterbites.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance !

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Stinson Lake - New Hampshire & Provincetown - Cape Cod Posts: 52,003
    I second the lavender and especially the tea tree oil ( which works amazingly well on a variety of other aliments too )...

we picked up some stuff in a yellow tube in the Gustavia Pharmacy called Anti Moustique which worked well too
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

SBH Insider Joined: Aug 2003 New Hampshire Posts: 6,937
    All good advice here - I have the same problem with the little critters and the welts are huge..can't feel a thing when they dive in! I hit the pharmacy and got an ointment that took the itch out immediately - they were very helpful. I use it here when I need it and it works better than anything. We use Deep Woods Off as a spray.
    Emma Peel: I suppose Mother warned you about women like me?
    John Steed: Until now, I didn't know there were women like you.

Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Boston Posts: 19,391
    The pharmacies can be identified by the "Green Cross". There are three, one across from the airport, one in the same complex as Andy's Hideaway, and one at the entrance to Gustavia by Public. One should be open today.

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 11,048
    If you have an IPhone use the Anti mosquito app to keep them away.
    "St. Bart's is Crack for Vacations." Credit given to EDW

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Austin, Texas Posts: 16,846
    It may not be mosquitos that are feasting on your bride's legs, but the little no-see-ums. They are obnoxious and, of course, you can't see um!

A tip for the next trip that works 100% for me: Avon Skin-So-Soft.

I hope she finds some relief soon!
    The waves of the sea bring me back to me.

SBH Insider Joined: Aug 2003 New Hampshire Posts: 6,937
    Good one Missy - I forgot about that little gem! Works great stateside too!
    Emma Peel: I suppose Mother warned you about women like me?
    John Steed: Until now, I didn't know there were women like you.

SBH Member Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 375
    Thanks for the help we will hit the pharmacy tomorrow. It's weird how they are attacking he and not me. I guess the old saying "You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar" is really true:)

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 51,667
    You will find lots of repellants and lotions in the grocery stores that are open today. https://files.me.com/gnik/usv5hs
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party -- June 5, 2023

SBH Member Joined: May 2008 Posts: 26
    I am wildly allergic to mosquito bites and the only thing that works for me is the Moutidose Gel Apaisant. You can usually find it at the pharmacy location entering Gustavia and occasionally at the pharmacy across from the airport.

casey

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2005 Sarasota, Florida Posts: 1,754
    ...Same for me and Kathie.....they drive her nuts and never bother with me.....the skin-so-soft suggestion is right on the money....
    "Yes I am a Pirate"

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2007 Detroit Posts: 13,125
    Loratadine - over the counter. IMHO.

Yeah, Yeah - IMHO