For the Romantics

julianne

Senior Insider
If you like tales such as Brief Encounter and An Affair to Remember,you will enjoy The Last Letter From Your Lover by JoJo Moyes. Set in England during the early 1960's and again in 2003, it is a haunting love story.

Thanks Julianne-adding it to my list.

I remember sobbing so at the end of this movie with Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr. Years later I caught the B&W version, Irene Dunne and ?

Ahh...An Affair to Remember - my absolute favorite!!! I will be purchasing The Last Letter From Your Lover TOMORROW! Thanks, Julianne!

I was singing the song, L'Affaire d'Amour, to Jeanette as she jumped out of my car to run across the street to meet Dennis at the top of the Prudential Tower this summer

julia said:
If you like tales such as Brief Encounter and An Affair to Remember,you will enjoy The Last Letter From Your Lover by JoJo Moyes. Set in England during the early 1960's and again in 2003, it is a haunting love story.

I've downloaded the audiobook for my road trip tomorrow morning. The book is 15 hours long so I'll listen both directions. I'm pretty excited to "read" it! My review will be forthcoming.

amyb said:
Thanks Julianne-adding it to my list.

I remember sobbing so at the end of this movie with Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr. Years later I caught the B&W version, Irene Dunne and ?

It was called Love Affair with Charles Boyer and Irene Dunne

Glad you are enjoying it. Beautifully written. And it is somewhat of a "sleeper" as far as buzz---everyone to whom I recommended it so far has found that it evokes a certain mood and time.

I'm 14 hours into the 15 hour audiobook and am very pleased with it. I think the fact that the reader speaks with a lovely British accent helps keep me in the location and the era. Thanks for the recommendation, Julianne.

All done and a fabulous read. Sorry to see it end. I really liked the back and forth between the years. I think I'll grab another by Moyes.

My library doen't have any others by JoJo Moyes so I am actually going to have to pay for a book- boo

Andynap said:
My library doen't have any others by JoJo Moyes so I am actually going to have to pay for a book- boo

Buy one in hardcover, donate it to the library after you read it, and claim it as a tax deduction. Problem solved, LOL.

You've made my day, Andy and Toni and Missy! Such a good feeling to recommend an "off-the-beaten-path" book and have others enjoy it. Sometimes, we get caught in the rut of reading the same type book--mystery, non-fiction, sc-fi, etc.---and it's refreshing to break out of the mold. This book is uplifting.