• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

What is Your Favorite St Barts Beach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
saline,

only beach on the island without seaweed...my new favorite place for my morning exercise.

Each morning another couple is there that I usually see walking around the whole island on sunday mornings.

if you have ever seen them, you won't forget them, they have a very distinctive walk, and they are both very fit. they get there before I do and they are running on the beach for an hour or so, then they are in the water for an hour.

very refreshing!

The seaweed, even though it's been around for several months this time, won't last forever. It comes and goes, but the beaches of St. Barth seem to retain their charm over the years. In order to retain this thread, I'm moving it to "Timeless Tips."

Looks like I'm the only one who really likes Lorient. It has a great combination of areas that are very safe for my kids (the area in front of Les Basses) and other areas where we can go for a real swim. Waves in close are calm. The walk up to Autour is a beautiful and not terribly difficult walk. It also has easy access to food which makes it convenient.

We also like Gouverneur for some of the opposite reasons. There is a real sense that my wife and I are away from everything there. We find our own area of sand and when we go, it seems nobody is around. If my wife and I are able to get a second trip in this year (possibly a short trip for our anniversary, staying at Eden Rock) we probably will spend much of the time there. Assuming we can leave Eden Rock, which is a different matter.

We would like Saline but with the young kids the walk over the hill is challenge. The drive there is easy and La Grain de Sel is a great place for lunch after a morning at the beach. Our real problem with Saline is that every time we've gone, we've had high winds. We may just be unlucky.

Here's a favorite beach (other than the obvious Saline, Gouvernor, etc) : skinnny dipping with my wife at Toiny Beach (on a calm water day) after a strenuous hike around the point. How many people get to skinny dip at their hotel's beach in broad daylight! Needless to say, there was absolutley no one around. There had been a very tan, very nude Frenchman there the day before which of course caused my wife to keep her suit on that day.

swimming is not advised in Toiny, just so you know, dangerous currents and a few memorable and fatal accidents there...

Oh yes, have heard all about danger swimming at Toiny. But it was a very calm day and it was perfectly safe to go in for a dip. No swimming out into the bay, body surfing etc.

Dave and I were just discussing this the other day while trying to decide which beach to go to. Because of the strong Christmas winds we had been spending so many days at Lorient. I think every beach has it's strong points. If all things were equal, I'd say Flammands or Saline since they are wide and one can get a lot space to themselves. However, we have never been there when it's anywhere near calm. I wish I could say we have experienced it.
After a few years of trying to find the road to get to the surfing spot over at Toiny, we finally got there on our second to last day, the 7th. I really liked watching the surfers and the scenery is very beautiful. I wish we had found it earlier. I could sit on a beach everyday and watch them. Could someone fill me in on that property? It says it's private but so many surf there. It was really kept up. Does Hotel Toiny own it?
Thanks.
Carol

Status
Not open for further replies.