• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Favorite Thing to do on St. Barth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
... driving my quad through the hills, on our way to no-where in particular, with my bikini clad wife on the back holding me for security, and love

tim said:
Mike,

You've visited St. B dozens of times, and I've come down here well over a hundred times, so maybe St. Barth isn't as special to us as it once was. I think most readers, who have only been a few times, see it more like the following scenario -

After a long journey you arrive with your partner on St. Barth, a different country with its unique French, Caribbean flavor, and it’s easy to forget your worries from that other world and concentrate on your partner. You two head out to a beautiful white sand beach and truly begin to unwind. Sunbathers nearby may be topless, or on some beaches, nude. You choose to emulate their lack of attire or not, but it’s just one more factor that awakens the senses.

After a day of beaching that may include a protracted lunch, you return to your hotel room or private villa with its private pool, have a few glasses of wine, relax in the pool or wherever. Then, dressed up in your favorite island outfits, you have a leisurely meal at one of dozens of St. Barth’s romantic restaurants, perhaps enjoying a bottle of wine and a bit of vanilla rum. There follows a quiet stroll on the docks around the boats moored in Gustavia harbor, or if still energized for it, dancing at one of several night spots.

At the time that suits, you return to your own private slice of this paradise, be it hotel or villa, and enjoy whatever the rest of your evening brings. Tomorrow, you can do it all over again.

Well said Tim. St Barths is a special place and that's it. That is why we all log on here every day (almost). To share those special experiences.

I haven't been there 30+ times, since 19xx something. I just lived on the island for about 10 years.

I confirm. This is a special place.

I see Tim's point in getting the attention of every SBH online member to try describing the "special bit".

Not an easy one, as the island has something magical, almost spiritual, so to speak. You can only "feel" it, not "speak" it.

There are so many "special moments", associated with the nature, the beauty, the food, the wine, the feeling of "freedom" nowhere else sensed. (no MikeR not even on ski slopes ;-)).

My favorite?

Scuba dive in pristine clear blue waters off Pain de Sucre, early morning, seeing live lobsters, barracudas, loads of reef fish and live coral.... Then take the boad ride back to Gustavia (preferably on a speed boat)....

I also like to drive back "to the villa" at night on a roofless car (i.e Mini cooper), with I admit, a little taste of rhum vanille in my mouth after that wonderful diner at K'Fe Masai, then see the full moon rise over the hill in Vitet as I drive Camaruche uphill in first gear....

There are so many "special moments" on our "special island".....

I suspect this post will go on forever (mods, please make it "sticky")!

I know this is an old thread; but there is nothing as good as introducing friends to St Barts. And on a more selfish level is getting up early, driving to Flamands and running the beach as the sun is rising. Have met interesting people and seen some morning rainbows. I do bring breakfast back from the bakery for the others which is always appreciated.

This is always a great thread to revisit. Bringing newbies is always near the top. I am so excited to bring my recently widowed sister in May. She hasn't been anywhere tropical, and she is so excited to go somewhere beautiful after all she has been through.

My favorite?

Scuba dive in pristine clear blue waters off Pain de Sucre, early morning, seeing live lobsters, barracudas, loads of reef fish and live coral....

I second this...nice thread to re-visit as we prepare to return for our fourth annual visit next month. My diving will be the highlight but just being on the island is so great. StBarths 051.jpg

1.Rehearse for weeks,then sing with the choir in sold out shows to wonderful applause
2. Anything to do with our long friendship with Marius

We've really enjoyed the sunset cruises, and dinners at Maya's and Eden Rock have been pretty amazing, but the one thing that really knocks me out is waking up early, having a cup of coffee, and walking on the beach.

It is just amazingly peaceful.

It will probably be different in October since I expect my son will want to walk with me since he gets up early. I'm definitely going to enjoy it because I really listening to him talk (and he's at the age where he tends to talk non-stop) but on a certain level I will miss those solo walks.

Status
Not open for further replies.