• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Favorite Thing to do on St. Barth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Driving the island in my Mini with no shirt, a blazing sun beating down on my shoulders and my side mirrors pulled in...

tim said:
Gibson40 asked what are the "must do" activities on St. Barth. What's your favorite thing to do on St. Barth?

My first thought was getting up early (6am), heading over to la Halle aux Poissons in Gustavia, scoring a big, fat langouste (for a sublimissime lunch later at the villa), stopping by La Pâtisserie Choisy for a viennoiserie and a pain complet, then back to the villa for petit dej with gentle breezes and dreamy views while pondering the day's plans.
That's the "favorite thing to do" answer, but the favorite thing answer is just to enjoy the dépaysement of submerging myself in the French, island culture.

The feeling of no responsibility and being able to do what we want when we want. No plans. Letting the day just happen.

Watching the runway in SBH getting closer and the feel of the plane touching down. Other than that, it's having the ability of doing nothing 24/7

when the Dalai Lama was asked what suprises him the most:

"Man, because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then, he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present, the result being that he does not live in the present or the future, he lives as if he is never going to die, then he dies having never lived."

I know this question was about st. barts, but this life style could be applied to st. barts or anywhere. the moral of this story is to do what you can, when you can, and enjoy life while you can.

nuff said.

I had my one and only active vacation in February. It is the place to do a whole lotta nuttin'!

While R&R is what most of us do, maybe Gibson40 likes to explore, see the sights and have some activity -- whether it's hiking, shopping, eating, or watching the world go by from a prime seat at Le Select or Bar d'Oubli. So far, no one has given any solid ideas!

good point...

so here goes..

the highlight of our trip is always when we rent a boat in Gustavia and take it to Colombier for the day....picnic...snorkeling...fun times

Point taken - some of my favorite things are, in no particular order, sipping a cocktail at Baz and watching the harbor, dining at Wall House, sitting at Le Piment, having a cocktail and watching the insanity, grocery shopping at Marche, checking out a few shops in St. Jean, sitting at LeSelect, having a cocktail and watching the insanity... do you see a pattern here??

WARNING: sappiness-alert, read at your own risk!

I like the FEELING of enjoying/appreciating everything more on St. Barth than anywhere else I've been, lived, visited, etc.

Whether it's drinking a beer, eating goat cheese salad and a pizza, driving like a madman on crazy roads, admiring and conversing with my beautiful wife, reading a book in the moring sun, lounging on the beach--it all feels better there than any other place I've been and I don't know why; I can't explain it.

I would agree that things you do down there feel very special....no argument here....that special feeling has brought me back for 31 years....where I fall off the common path many of you travel on in here, in terms of that, is it feels equally magnificent and special when I ski first tracks in powder on a still quiet winter morning.....walk along a stream on a peak fall day in full color....watch an incredible sunset as I am coming in from a great fishing trip....just to name a few....

personally...It would be sad to me if only one place brought that kind of euphoria to me

but hey...thats me

your mileage may vary

Surely you don't think you're the only one that gets emotionally charged in other venues?

tim said:
Surely you don't think you're the only one that gets emotionally charged in other venues?

no..I don't at all.......but I have read in here many many many times that only St Barts is this and only in St Barts is that and every other thing, and it just makes me scratch my head......because I dont understand it...

Mike,

You've visited St. B dozens of times, and I've come down here well over a hundred times, so maybe St. Barth isn't as special to us as it once was. I think most readers, who have only been a few times, see it more like the following scenario -

After a long journey you arrive with your partner on St. Barth, a different country with its unique French, Caribbean flavor, and it’s easy to forget your worries from that other world and concentrate on your partner. You two head out to a beautiful white sand beach and truly begin to unwind. Sunbathers nearby may be topless, or on some beaches, nude. You choose to emulate their lack of attire or not, but it’s just one more factor that awakens the senses.

After a day of beaching that may include a protracted lunch, you return to your hotel room or private villa with its private pool, have a few glasses of wine, relax in the pool or wherever. Then, dressed up in your favorite island outfits, you have a leisurely meal at one of dozens of St. Barth’s romantic restaurants, perhaps enjoying a bottle of wine and a bit of vanilla rum. There follows a quiet stroll on the docks around the boats moored in Gustavia harbor, or if still energized for it, dancing at one of several night spots.

At the time that suits, you return to your own private slice of this paradise, be it hotel or villa, and enjoy whatever the rest of your evening brings. Tomorrow, you can do it all over again.

yes Tim I get what your saying...I am 50+ trips into it and yes it has moved from the gah gah honeymoon phase to the well worn in pair of jeans phase.... I get that....but at no point in those 50+ trips, for me at least did my St Barts joyful experiences be exclusive to me in bringing me over the top joy......maybe my threshold for pure joy is low ..who knows?...LOL....but whatever it is, as special as St Barts experiences have been to me....and they are very special for sure... they aren't an exclusive

its not just a St Barts thing either...i see it here in P Town too....people will gush and gush and tell me they are ONLY happy when they are here....and my typical answer is.."really?...wow...I'm sorry to hear that...there is a great big world out there...go check it out"...

Status
Not open for further replies.