Taylor Swift in Philly

andynap

Senior Insider
Taylor Swift at the Linc
"Philadelphia, you know I actually grew up right down the road in Reading, Pa.," 21 year old Taylor Swift told the deliriously happy 51,000 fans assembled at Lincoln Financial Field in South Philadelphia on Saturday night. "And when I was a little kid, my Dad always had the Eagles game on television, of course. And I remember thinking 'I wonder what it's like to be in that stadium and be the only thing that people are paying attention to?' And it's breathtaking, actually."

That was after the Wyomissing-reared Swift opened her Speak Now tour date "in the place I'm from" in one of only six football stadium shows on an otherwise-in-arenas tour in a glittering gold dress and knee high back leather boots, kicking into "Sparks Fly," "Mine" and "Our Story," at the start of a crowd pleasing, two-hour-plus, eight outfit show, that included 12 of 14 songs off the album from which the tour takes its name.

Nine outfits, actually, if you count the #13 Eagles jersey that she donned while couch bound for an acoustic encore of "Fifteen," then took off to reveal a ball gown she wore while floating above the 30 yard line on a suspended-by-wires faux balcony while bring the show to a fairy tale ending with the undeniably catchy "Love Story." That song sent the overwhelmingly female and mostly-younger-than-Swift crowd home at the same time that the mixed martial arts UFC 133 testosterone party at the Wells Fargo Center across the street got out, resulting in the massive traffic snarl that left me immobile long enough to write this blog item on my iPhone.

The set list is below. A full review will be up on Sunday, and in the Inquirer on Monday. The Pink song Swift sang while sitting under a rotating music box fairy tree in a purple dress happily playing the ukulele (that's what she's doing above, with her lucky number '13' written on her right hand) at the back end of the Linc was "Who Knew," and she did a bit of TLC's "Unpretty" after that.

Here's the set list:

Sparks Fly / Mine / Story Of Us / Our Song / Mean / Back To December / Better Than Revenge / Speak Now / Fearless w/ I'm Yours / Last Kiss / Who Knew / Unpretty / You Belong With Me / Enchanted / Haunted / Long Live

Encore: Fifteen / Love Story

That was the review from this morning's Inquirer. I was not there last night. :crazy:

You would have loved the Josh Groban concert at Mohegan Sun last weekend. It was amazing.
We are officially groupies

Fluff. At least Taylor Swift writes her own songs. After I posted that I found out my 2 granddaughters were at the concert- at least they know good. BTW- I am not a fan of outdoor stadium concerts- saw one- never again- why spend big bucks to watch on a big screen.

Heck. In many big indoor venues you're stuck with staring at a vid screen unless you have front row seats or a backstage pass.

I've suggested, many times, to local venues that they "live cast" concerts on cable. "Too complicated because of legal issues." }:(

IMHO. A last minute offering on cable to a sold out concert/game/etc. doesn't seem like a bad idea. Of course you don't advertise it until it's sold out.

Montreux jazz festival in Switzerland does that. We couldn't get in for one concert. Sat back in hotel room and enjoyed it on TV. Simple, methinks.

Andynap said:
Fluff. At least Taylor Swift writes her own songs. After I posted that I found out my 2 granddaughters were at the concert- at least they know good. BTW- I am not a fan of outdoor stadium concerts- saw one- never again- why spend big bucks to watch on a big screen.
I hope you aren't calling Josh Groban
"fluff". He writes all his own music, and unline Miss Swift, was classically trained in opera, and would never have the audience, nor the desire, to reach those levels of pop idolatry.

He would die to be as popular as Taylor Swift and if he writes his own music he writes fluff and well as sings it.

Wow. You may want to watch the YouTube Andrea Bocelli and Josh Groban singing The Prayer. Granted you have never heard a Josh Groban song. I would have thought that was right up your alley.
Josh has sold over 27.3 million CD's worldwide.

Complete misconception. He was a young musical prodigy.
We agree to disagree, However, no one writes more fluff than Taylor Swift. Thank goodness for all the 15 year old girls out there.

Instead of knocking apart 2 talented people, I think it would be bette to pick from one of the thousands of talentless performers out there

Comparing Josh Groban and Taylor Swift is like comparing apples and oranges. Their talents as performers do not fall in the same areas. If you were comparing them from a point of pure vocal talent, Groban's voice is in a much higher league.

Taylor Swift's mom thought my daughter and her friends had a lot of spirit at a recent concert in Philly and invited them backstage for dinner with Taylor after the concert. Taylor could not have been more gracious to the girls. Truly a night my daughter will never forget...

1313529919-Taylor_Swift_with_Lauren.jpg

[My daughter is on the far right...]

Jeanette said:
Comparing Josh Groban and Taylor Swift is like comparing apples and oranges. Their talents as performers do not fall in the same areas. If you were comparing them from a point of pure vocal talent, Groban's voice is in a much higher league.

Taylor Swift's mom thought my daughter and her friends had a lot of spirit at a recent concert in Philly and invited them backstage for dinner with Taylor after the concert. Taylor could not have been more gracious to the girls. Truly a night my daughter will never forget...

1313529919-Taylor_Swift_with_Lauren.jpg

[My daughter is on the far right...]
What a great story.