• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Dress code at restaurants?

"Voosh" - you are my hero!!! I love the "loud" prints - all of them and have no problem with my hubby wearing them if he chooses. I dislike the tourist label - I may qualify as a "regular" on SBH, or I may not but I don't mind being a tourist in a place where I see/learn/experience something new each time I go. I'm just sayin'........

Yep. It's about SBH. We spend too much on visits. Wear what we feel like. And, book the next visit before we leave.

BTW. Kathy wears "Hawaiian" shirts as a cover on hot beaches. They work. I don't know the SPF rating. Who cares?

NHDiane said:
Aw come on MB where's your sense of adventure? Mike R - comment? .

yeah I don't go tropical in February..too much great skiing I would miss..but if I did, and when I did... if I had to wear long pants to get to the airport due to the cold...I would simply ditch the long pants in the airplane bathroom and get into shorts....sooooooo much more comfortable for me.... the less clothes the better for me....plus nothing ever gets me cold, but I sure do overheat easily, so less clothes is better for my metabolism

Wear shorts, don't wear shorts, wear shoes, wear flip flops, wear sandals. Polo shirt, collared shirt, some shirt. All colors and prints included. Does that cover it?

and a guidebook in the other hand....because God forbid I actually figure something out on my own and take the road less traveled.... :crazy:

I see it everyday....

Mike R said:
and a guidebook in the other hand....because God forbid I actually figure something out on my own and take the road less traveled.... :crazy:

When you travel abroad, you better buy yourself a Lonely Planet guidebook! It covers all the places nobody has been before.

Petri said:
/quote]

When you travel abroad, you better buy yourself a Lonely Planet guidebook! It covers all the places nobody has been before.

I watch Lonely Planet all the time...great show....hey when I am somewhere new I just hit the trail or roads, and take a few arbitrary turns, and see where it takes me....that has always worked for me

Mike R said:
I watch Lonely Planet all the time...great show....hey when I am somewhere new I just hit the trail or roads, and take a few arbitrary turns, and see where it takes me....that has always worked for me

Didn't know they have a TV show.. anyway, almost every backpacker travels with LP guidebook and places mentioned there are full of people.. In places like Vietnam you'll find dozens of hotels, tours and other services with the same name just because it was mentioned in LP. It was quite funny to see two hotels with exactly the same name next to each other :)

Mike R said:
Petri said:
/quote]

Well I like to know ahead of time some nice places to eat. We are going to Dewey Beach and last Sunday there was a nice article about the best restaurants there- I cut it out and intend to use it a lot. I don't like trial and error when I eat out.

Petri..yeah it doesnt surprise me that LP has commercialized...which completely defeats the whole original purpose of course!.....their shows are quite good though...

Andy..I hear ya....I dont mind hearing a few opinions about places to eat but in the end I usually figure it all out by walking by a place, looking in, checking out the menu and getting a feel for it all......there is no comparing the places I stumbled upon walking around in little towns in Sicily, to the places I went to that everyone goes to.....

Eddys is a classic example of that...no advertising.... in no guidebooks...you gotta find it on your own or hear about it by word of mouth

Petri said:
Didn't know they have a TV show.. anyway, almost every backpacker travels with LP guidebook and places mentioned there are full of people.. In places like Vietnam you'll find dozens of hotels, tours and other services with the same name just because it was mentioned in LP. It was quite funny to see two hotels with exactly the same name next to each other :)

my wife backpacked across Iceland, France and England with nothing but her instincts and curiousity to guide her....the way it should be....

I would go anywhere in Italy or Sicily to eat without prior knowledge- that is about the only exception.

MrBart said:
leaving ny in February in shorts and shorts sleeves would be interesting thats for sure. thanks all, i will prob wear a pair of pants down and back. just pack shorts and shirts in the carry on.

Get a pair of cargo pants that zip off at the knee. that's why they were invented...!

Petri said:
Mike R said:

If nobody's been before, how do they know?
(coming from a 'wing it' or 'ask a cabbie' kind of foreign traveller...)