• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Dress code at restaurants?

MrBart

SBH Insider
Hopefully this is the right forum for the question. Are most restaurants casual or do you need shoes, pants, shirts? Can one go to a restaurant for lunch/dinner in shorts, polo and flip flops?

That is the expected attire day. A bit spiffier at night, though not much. Think shirt or polo type/izod pull on for dinner.
Last long pants hold out was Barto at Guanahani. You might want to dress up for Toiny's La Gaiac or Eden Rocks On the Rocks-they are more elegant hotel dining rooms and good for date nights-same also Le Sereno's Pecheurs and in Gustavia L'Isola or Carl Gustaf's Victoria dining room.

According to some posts not too long ago, you can go to lunch or dinner anywhere in shorts and a polo shirt except one place mentioned by Amy. That's not my style but some who live on the island go that way.

I bring 1 pair of long pants. They're generally for the plane ride down and the plane ride back. The only two places that are known to require long pants are Bartolomeo at Le Guanahani, and Le Yacht Club. I have zero interest in visiting either of them.

As to the other hotel restaurants, I might - might - put on long pants for a visit to On The Rocks at the ER, and possibly for a visit to Le Restaurant des Pêcheurs at Le Sereno. I've given up on Victoria's at the Goose - sunset cocktails only, and then somewhere else for dinner. Le Gaïac at Le Toiny and La Case de l'Isle at the Hotel St Barth Isle de France are both on my s!%t list.

Shorts and a polo shirt are what I wear. Some wear flip flops, I wear boat shoes.

I'm with Kevin on this.
I also wear long pants on the trip down, and a jacket too.
The jacket makes it easier to carry travel docs.
I often have a list of things to do in the jacket pocket too.
As soon as we get there, I hang up the jacket and don't look at anything until we're leaving.

I am with Kevin on this except I do not even wear long pants going to and from St Barts....shorts, a polo shirt or a short sleeve dress shirt and sandals will get you just about anywhere.... and I have no interest in going to the one or two places who have a dress code anyway

leaving ny in February in shorts and shorts sleeves would be interesting thats for sure. thanks all, i will prob wear a pair of pants down and back. just pack shorts and shirts in the carry on.

I'm not sure if anyone touched on this, but many of the local guys seem to wear jeans at night. So, yes, long pants, but definitely not formal....They work for Le Yacht Club, if that's your thing. Tomva usually wears jeans a good amount of time in the evenings (and I do too, if the weather is cool)---but more of a fashion thing than a dress code. BTW--we are not fashion junkies at all :)

Aw come on MB where's your sense of adventure? Mike R - comment? I agree with Kevin and Mike on this, hubby doesn't wear long pants and we don't "dine" anywhere that won't accept us that way.

Yep. Shorts, polo shirt and deck shoes. Typically, the only long pants I bring are ones that have the zip off legs for flying there and back. That way I'm wearing shorts arriving/departing and can be little warmer with the "long legs" when arriving back here to slush and cold.

Also, I'm not aware of any clothing-optional restos on the island. :p

Oh yes, I never gave the old "zip off the leg" slacks a thought! Great idea. I don't mind showing up back in NH with shorts or capris on - good way to show off my tan to those up here that have no color left by October :p

The locals tend to be younger and more style conscious, as the Eurpopeans do.My husband and many here grew up with khakis, loafers and blue cotton shirts as every day attire.I couldn't get my husband to even try on a linen shirt from St. Barths, unfortunately.These guys want their shorts, golf shirts, and sadly, a Hawaiian shirt or 2.They are very set in the American ways.

What's wrong with Hawaiian shirts? Must be a male female thing: Ladies in our travel crowd usually wince at my shirts, the guys always think they're cool. Never been turned away from a resto on SBH for wearing one.

I have found that a good Hawaiian, Caribbean or Tahitian shirt can last forever, is comfortable, less sweaty in the heat, wrinkle-proof and takes up less space than a typical polo in your carry-on.

You are probably right about it being a male female thing.With the exception of Tom Selleck, I don't find the guys in Hawaiian shirts masculine enough for my taste.Plus, it seems there is a competition for the sillier the better when it comes to Hawaiian shirts.My husband has a black one with colorful cocktails of the world all ovar it.Go figure that he won't wear a solid linen shirt.

To each their own. I only buy native, plain (not gaudy) ones that are made of a very thin, tightly woven cotton. That's why they wear them there. The "Tommy Bahama" types don't pass comfort, durability or looks muster. Linen doesn't do it for me.

As Magnum, Tom Selleck, got some points for his choice of shirts, car and Detroit Tigers cap in my book. Only difference was that I don't drive a Ferrari or wear a hat. :p

As for being judged a "tourist," I could give a spit. Those making those "judgements" are too concerned about some idea of chic or whatever. One of my favorite moments was when I walked into a great resto on SBH with this tshirt on. The owner almost fell off his chair laughing. "I thought you were kidding when you said you'd be wearing that. Here's your table." The smirks and laughs at the resto were by the real tourists. IMHO. Kathy asks me "Why do you do these things?" "Because it's fun and confuses those easily confused and inclined to rush to judgement."

med_1312829046-Pink2.jpg

As for interesting TOURIST shots, stand around a cruise ship or visit http://uglytourists.com/

I feel so different :)

Solid linen shirt, long sleeves but rolled nicely. A light pattern ok as well. I liked Phil's green shirt a lot.

Nice slim-fit, white or red jeans with white shoes (sporty but not sports shoes of any kind), or nice shorts and australian premium jandals (aka flip flops, they really know how to make them, with leather and stuff).

Nothing to do with dress code as such, just want to avoid any bites and have something that doesn't feel hot in them. I've checked in to Burj Al Arab in shorts and flip flops :)