• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

SBH Commuter and Thursday's Rain

jeffbg

SBH Insider
Thursday's heavy rain made getting out of SBH very challenging. Thanks to St. Barts Commuter for having planes at the ready, as soon as the airport opened in St. Maarten, they had 3 planes in the air pronto.

The professionalism of the pilots were admirable -- quick, but careful to do all the preflight checks and then fly us through the rain right under the cloud ceiling like it was no problem.

We had an equally good AA pilot, who sucked a bird into an engine of our 757 on landing, inspected the engine, and upon hearing that the maintenance crew would not arrive for hours, promptly scrapped the flight and put everyone up for the night in St. Maarten. We saw her later at the hotel headed back to SXM to be sure they were really going to fix that engine. The mechanic flew out onboard the aircraft to return to Miami. Except for the burned chicken smell on takeoff, the engines performed fine (after a full power pre-flight spool-up to check them out).

Now, if we can get out of Miami on time (since our plane is running 1 hr late), maybe we'll get back to CA 2 days after leaving our beautiful island!!

-- Jeff

Time and time again you Californians are asked to go the extra mile to visit SBH. You are hardy souls. Safe travels stalwart visitors, Amy

Sound like you Kelli and the kid had an adventure. To bad AA could not cook the birds up will a nice duck sauce. Thursday in SBH was a wash out. Hopefully you make your way back to San Diego in good order.

Jeff,

Keep us posted as to the rest of your journey home with the girls. Where did AA put you up in SXM?

AA put us up at the Maho, paid for taxis, dinner (mostly), breakfast. Not too painful all and all.

Got to Miami but that plane too was 2 hrs late. Just got to LA safe some 42 hrs after leaving our villa. Still worth it, but it does try the patience. Our girls were total champs throughout!

Gonna send a letter to AA and the FAA. Two broken planes and flights that can't possibly be on time ever is really not okay. Commendable handling of the bird strike though.

Thanks to all for meeting us on island, and following our crazy travels home!!

Whew! What a trip home. Glad you made it safe and sound.

Enjoyed meeting you and your family. Hope our paths cross on SBH again!

~Heather

Not if our daughters have anything to say about it....We got home this morning from LAX... stayed overnight at my mom's house...familiar bed, good home cooked meal and a great night's sleep was perfect.

I miss the Elmonds already and will be back to see you all again... as well as our other St. Barths friends. We had such a great time there....It is probably our last trip with AA but not our last to the island.
This is the first time I felt culture shock coming back...All our crazy wide freeways here in CA, the roads are uncomfortably smooth here too...and a trip to Costco feels unnatural and weird...back to reality today with Ballet rehearsals and laundry...But finished the day with vanilla rum and rotisserie chicken... Our daughters keep asking for reassurance we will return despite our horrible flights there and back.
BTW... MIA has not improved much... if they would only spend $$ on a new customs and immigration area for the new terminal instead of on the 100 signs to lead you around that crazy place. Enough ranting.. my real bed and pillow are calling. More soon...

I always find it weird when we return home. We have to drive from Ohare airport about 2 1/2 hours. Getting in the car and then it's zoom, zoom. Quite the shock after being in SB where travel is bumpy and much slower.

Shopping is another..........

Hello Jeff,

What was your SBC flight last thursday?
I was as "co-pilot" position on the first flight ! We were very lucky to have a short quiet period during this heavy rainfall !!

Michael

Michael, any chance you'll be flying next Saturday afternoon? I don't want to have to fight you for the co-pilot seat!! }:|

I have stalked PhAmy on the island for several years now. They have taken pity on me and now actually "invite" me to do things with them instead of just waiting for me to show up! Amy even OFFERS me her left over frites! :up:

I get that, but I thought I read somewhere that you had this new line of work that was interfering with you spontaneity.

You are correct, Pops. I do have a new gig which seriously interferes with my spontaneity! Which means this trip is not spontaneous but planned...for several months! (...and if I don't take it I will implode!)

gramchop said:
Michael, any chance you'll be flying next Saturday afternoon? I don't want to have to fight you for the co-pilot seat!! }:|

No problem ! I will be back at the end of the month ! We have to delay this fight ! ;)

Michael

SBCommuter said:
gramchop said:

No problem ! I will be back at the end of the month ! We have to delay this fight ! ;)

Michael

Oh, Michael...that is not very funny!! }:(

Can you ask my pilot if I can have the co-pilot seat, svp?