Great White's Summer Vacation Time....

MIke R

Senior Insider
just in time for high season.....three confirmed and photo documented sightings yesterday.....two off Chatham and one off of P Town....

last years count was 11..we'll see what this year brings....more and more seals showing up....we even have one now who hangs out behind our dock and waits for fish carcasses to be tossed into the water...never have seen that

we need some culling

I'm waiting for one to show up in our pond. We now have a couple seals in it that have traveled through Pleasant Bay. It's only a matter of time..

(\ (\ (\ /) /) /)

"Jaws Revisited:the Great White Shark in New England" - a lecture to be given on Thursday in Oak Bluffs on Martha's Vineyard.

I'm still traumatized. It's the reason I never learned to surf. I know it's a low percentage but I just can't get it out of my mind. The fact that the very barrier island in Chatham that we go to every weekend is the place that the sharks have been frequenting doesn't help much. The seal population is a hefty one.
/) /) /)

dah na dah na dah na dah na dah na dah na

We saw Jaws the first week it opened. Scared to death, we decided the only answer was to swim that night or we would never do it again. It worked, but I still hear the music...

We saw "Jaws" in Highgate Springs, Vermont and Phil was deeply concerned swimming in lake Champlain that summer!

Jaws came out the summer I was lifeguarding at Asbury Park beach and in the nearby Elberon Surf Club as well and working on fishing boats as a deckhand...

we cashed in on the hysteria the movie created....we used to have a friend call the Elberon Surf Club office who had a real ditzy blonde as the secretary there and tell her there have been shark sightings nearby and to please tell the management to close the beach..

......so we could get the afternoon off....and it worked!

sweeeeeeeeeeet!

I worked the Jaws 1 and Jaws 2 movies. An extra in both. Got to know the cast. Very cool summers on MVY. Drank with Roy S. on several evenings (nights) at the Colonial.

Ah, the life of a teenager.......Work, beer, food, girls, fishing.

ChasBidd said:

hey I am still living that life!!! :cool:

would love to hear your stories about working the movies...must be some good ones!

going to Cahoon Hollow today in search of Jaws...and maybe some oysters and beer too

Good tales to tell. Drinking age was 18 then. I looked a tad older at 17. Not and issue. Coming to RI soon?

Mike R said:
ChasBidd said:

hey I am still living that life!!! :cool:

would love to hear your stories about working the movies...must be some good ones!

going to Cahoon Hollow today in search of Jaws...and maybe some oysters and beer too

sooo jealous. it's a beautiful day and I'm stuck inside...have a dark and stormy for me

we have had a great day today!..what weather!....mini golf in Wellfleet this morning... then Beachomber for lunch....a dip in the ocean...back to PTown...pool bar at Harbors Inn pool for drinks.....and now I gotta fishing trip tonight - but the girls are going on it...

dinner will be on the boat with goodies from the Boulangerie in Wellfleet..it is beyond belief how successful this place has been...lines out the door nonstop from 6 A.M. til they close at 2....here I am in what is the time of day when the lines are the shortest

5982443658_7ee3c92533.jpg

Now I'm doubly jealous. We only had goodies from there one day. It was really close to where we were at also...just couldn't get myself up early enough.

That woman facing the camera looks a bit like Linda Greenlaw. We missed her by only a few days this summer.

Saw our first Great White this afternoon as we approached Cuttyhunk Island, MA. Amazing! We saw something moving very fast toward us broadside, swerve toward the white dinghy we tow, and then take off. Stunning.

yeah I heard on the fishing channel on the VHF boat radio a few days ago, a guy saying he was looking at a GW in excess of 20 feet long while he was Tuna fishing....

Cuttyhunk eh??

I'm jealous....I so love that place

We honeymooned here, on our first boat. A huge storm just came through, and we are very cozy on our mooring.