Oyster question for Miker

ccg

SBH Insider
Mike - I am getting my last fish order of the season which will be oysters and shrimp. They will be harvested today and delivered tomorrow. How long can they stay out of water before eating? I am guessing that clams and mussels follow that same time frame about being out of the water. Since it is June, what happened to the rule about only eating oysters in an "r" month.

Thanks as always for your help with my education. :)

Charlotte

if they are kept clean, cold and dry in the refrigerator they can live up to two weeks out of the water....cover them with a damp cloth and change the cloth daily...clams are the heartiest of the three

I have heard about the r thing but honestly I never followed that rule....our waters up here pretty much stay cold all year round....but there is a chance an oyster being a filter feeder can be a carrier of some nasty bugs if taken in warm water

Wellfleet tests their water twice a day every single day of the year.....few are that diligent about it

This is timely. We would like to send some Wellfleet oysters to a friend who wont be able to visit there for the first time in many years. Are you familiar with Woodbury's? Is that a good option for shipping?

This time last year JasB- whatever happened to him?- sent me a dozen Wellfleets from Legal Seafood- the packaging was great- so were the Oysters.

Thanks Mike. I am really looking forward to dinner tonight, oysters and shrimp and grits. YUM!

C