today is National Lobster Day

MIke R

Senior Insider
I am going to honor them by letting them live for two more days in my traps.... :cool:

A Good Reason to Kill a Lobster

June 15, 2011 at 2:20PM
by Elizabeth Gunnison

Today is National Lobster Day, and what better way to honor this noble, prehistoric creature than to eat a couple for dinner tonight? Personally, we recommend this recipe for spaghetti with lobster, chiles, and mint, by chef and seafood expert Dave Pasternack.

Lobster doesn't get a lot of play in home kitchens, despite being great-tasting, nutritious, and always impressive to guests. There are three major reasons for this: lobsters' high price, the hassle of procuring and storing them live, and one's general uneasiness with the prospect of putting a living thing to death with one's own bare hands. I mean, who needs it, right? Pass the steaks.

We can't really help you with the first two dilemmas, but as for the killing part, here's some advice:

How to kill a lobster: Boiling lobsters whole is standard operating procedure among home cooks handling the crustacean, but many chefs avoid this method to keep the delicate, pricey tail meat from toughening up. Instead, while the lobster is still alive, they separate it into claws, a body, and a tail using their (usually latex-gloved) hands. From there, the claws can be boiled, and the tail meat extracted and cooked gently over low heat (don't worry, this method is demonstrated in Pasternack's recipe). If you can stomach this technique — and, by the way, the tail and claws will keep moving once separated from the body — you'll get the most from your lobster meat.

And why you shouldn't feel so bad about the whole thing: However you choose to do the deed, don't make the decision based on a sense of mercy. According to the University of Maine's Lobster Institute (of course they have their own lobster institute up there), the most current thinking among neurophysiologists is that lobsters cannot feel pain, given that they lack a brain and have a nervous system similar to an insect. So you can cool it with all the lobster guilt and just eat.

Read more: http://www.esquire.com/blogs/food-for-men/national-lobster-day-5924097#ixzz1PNFxG1mU

Theresa-This all sounds good to me. I did not know it was a lobster day. We are having steak on the grill-Black Angus beef. Corn on the cob. Broccoli.
Salad.

Weight Watcher pop if needed.

Had my lobster for lunch. Mystery dinner tonight since Phyllis is the home cook- I think fish tho.

What's WW Pop??

Lenas piano recital tonight...so nothing fancy...grilled chicken sausage over stir fried veggies teriyaki

I keep Weight Watcher Toffee ice cream pops in the freezer-for emergencies. Like when you really need something sweet!

Amy... get some Skinny Cow Chocolate Truffle pops...really good and really low fat and low calories and no chemcicals

Andynap said:
Had my lobster for lunch. Mystery dinner tonight since Phyllis is the home cook- I think fish tho.

What's WW Pop??

Andy, did you go to Sansom Street Oyster House for a lobster roll?

Theresa said:
Andynap said:

What's WW Pop??

Andy, did you go to Sansom Street Oyster House for a lobster roll?

Of course- that's why I posted "My Lunch". The line outside was 1/2 block long and there was only 1 seat left at the bar. They said they ordered 1000 pounds of lobsters. It was delicious.