Clarence Clemons had a stroke....

I saw him live just once. But boy was he the glue that held the band together. I love saxophones and his music, his special sound, was at the top

in my mind...thats the end of the E Street Band...Danny Federici was a big enough loss...but with all due respect to Mr Federici, whose grandfather delivered my first two kids, this is way beyond that....and replacing him would be an exercise in futility...like the Stones losing Keith Richards

call it a day Bruce....its broken...

amyb said:
I saw him live just once. But boy was he the glue that held the band together. I love saxophones and his music, his special sound, was at the top

Amy.... in the early to mid 70's to the early 80's, many of the Friday or Saturday nights at the Stone Pony, the house band would be a mix of Asbury Juke members and Bruces band members...the nights that would be extra special would be the nights when all the trombone members of the Jukes would be there as well as Clarence....wow....the roof came off....very very special times..he would occasionally come fishing on the boat I was running, as he loved fishing....such a gentle soul for such a big man

from Asbury Park Facebook page

Asbury Park Boardwalk
In continuing with our day of tribute to the great Clarence Clemons, we're celebrating his love of music in his honor. For all our guests who have made a pilgrimage to The Stone Pony today, tonight's show with San Fransico rockers Tea Leaf Green is FREE. Join us as we remember our good friend who was larger than life, as was his music: THE BIG MAN.
We want to thank all the Asbury Music fans for their outpouring of love.
Clarence was a cornerstone of the Asbury music explosion of the 70's.
His music was current and vital right up to his passing. His last live performances
were with Lady Gaga and Furthur, his music was soulful and deep. God Bless.

Before Bruce, Clemons Was a Big Man on Campus

1310332461-rhoden-articleLarge.jpg

University of Maryland Eastern Shore in Princess Anne
Clarence Clemons, right, opened holes for running back Emerson Boozer at Maryland State.

By WILLIAM C. RHODEN
Published: July 9, 2011

Bob Child/Associated Press
Clarence Clemons played tenor sax with Bruce Springsteen and his E Street Band.
But it wasn’t until the Big Man died last month at age 69 that I learned that we had something in common: we both played football for historically black colleges that were fierce, but friendly, rivals.

Clemons played football for Maryland State in Princess Anne; I played at Morgan State in Baltimore. We missed each other by about seven years.

Full Article