La Voile Boston

sbhlvr

Senior Insider
Has anyone tried this brasserie in Boston??
While we were at The Wall House, we purchased some of the rhum. While conversing with Bernard, he asked us where we were from and then gave us a card from La Voile on Newbury Street. He wrote a little note on it to Jerome, his friend and owner. I'm thinking that we might check it our this weekend.

We've been there several times. It's a Brasserie with good French food. I've had the Sole Meuniere and the Blanquette de Veau.

There are outside tables a few steps below sidewalk level, and a dining room a few more steps down, in the lower level of the building, which I remember as an old brownstone.

I remember Jerome from when he worked at Wall House. My recollection is that he is the Maitre D', not the owner. Julien, Bernard's son, was the Maitre D' at La Voile prior to moving to SBH as part-owner of Wall House.

I would definitely visit La Voile again.

You can find their website at http://www.lavoileboston.net

There is a parking garage a few blocks further down Newbury St from the restaurant. It's not cheap, but it's not outrageous, and it's convenient.

Thanks Kevin for the correction on Jerome. I had a feeling you might have been there. I miss being in the hub and seeing new places come into town.
I used to live in the Back Bay so finding parking on the street has never been a problem for me. Dave calls me the parking genuis!
I hope the weather holds for some strolling about town.

;) Well, it didn't say Dover, so I'm guessing it was local sole. However, paraphrasing Mike, if you drown it in enough butter and lemon, who could tell?

It was - as far as I could tell under the butter and lemon, LOL. I'm more likely to order the Blanquette de Veau though, even in the summer. I can cook good fish at home, including sole. I can cook good veal chops at home. But I've never tried cooking Blanquette de Veau.

We ate there last summer and I had the dover sole which they swore was authentic. It was delicious . We ate inside because it was hot but the outside dining is fine.

KevinS said:
But I've never tried cooking Blanquette de Veau.

its not difficult at all....you just have to be careful incorporating the egg yolks....otherwise its a snap....

and Im sure your Georges Bank sole was delicious too.... ;)

and Im sure your Georges Bank sole was delicious too....

They said it was Dover sole- Kevin told me to ask and that's what I was told- it certainly looked like it and tasted like it and charged me like it. }:|

JEK said:
At least it wasn't that overpriced-only-uninformed-fools-would-buy Turbot.

you betcha...yuck..I'm guessing the diners in this fair site are far too sophisticated to ever order that

Andynap said:

They said it was Dover sole- Kevin told me to ask and that's what I was told- it certainly looked like it and tasted like it and charged me like it. }:|

I'm sure they believe it...the dover sole stamp at the P town fishmongers cold storage facility gets a lot of use this time of year...LOL
.....and do you really believe they would tell you anything different knowing you have absolutely no freakin way to challenge it??????..really????

Mike R said:
Andynap said:

I'm sure they believe it...the dover sole stamp at the P town fishmongers cold storage facility gets a lot of use this time of year...LOL
.....and do you really believe they would tell you anything different knowing you have absolutely no freakin way to challenge it??????..really????

You are very negative. I believed them and that's what counts. :p

Here's the deal. We spend the like it is our own, because it is, and we enjoy it. He shows restraint and agrees each to his own. This isn't the way he rolls. Trust me.

I am talking about La Voile and Dover Sole and nothing else. I am willing to bet that there is a least ONE restaurant in the US that sells real Dover Sole- not frozen.