La Voile Boston

Andynap said:
You are very negative. I believed them and that's what counts. :p

if I video the boxes getting stamped this summer and heading to Boston and Providence....will you then retract your statement of me being negative...can I get you to agree on that?

Get a box going to La Voile and I'll retract. So if Legal Seafood says it's Dover Sole- it isn't?? Or Jasper White?? Or Ming Tsai, Todd English??

Legals and Jaspars, as far as I know, have never sold Dover sole....their sole was always advertised as simply...sole....if they got their hands on some Dover sole for a one day special I would tend to believe that way more than a restaurant who has it on the menu everyday and claims it to be such everyday......depending on the time of year, Dover provides 10 - 15% of the sole in the world...thats it thats all....you gotta figure ( but I don't know for fact ) of that 15%, England and France would get the lions share...that would be mean less than 10% of any sole worldwide will be Dover Sole...based on those numbers you can draw your own conclusions....my commercial fishing trade papers I read tell me that the vast majority of Dover sole comes from the Pacific Northwest and Georges Bank...but what do they know?...LOL

and again...for the umpteenth time..there are currently NO rules or regulations regarding what a seafood distributor can call any fish....and sole is sole is sole so they have no issue calling any sole Dover sole because it is in fact the very same fish as that which comes from Dover.....so...when you think about that....why not????

La Voile doesn't have it on their menu everyday- it was a special. If you look now it's not on their menu. Give me some credit- even I know it's only available on a limited basis.

amen and onward....I came home with a bunch of very fresh codfish from PTown today...fish and chips tomorrow...with fennel slaw

Cod is scarce here- Haddock usually. Send some down. The power went out and I had to fire up my generator- luckily I have a gas stove- nice shrimp in a honey glaze with Basmati rice.

That sounds delicious, Andy. Including the generator. I want one. We miss the cod we used to get. Lately it has been anemic. Lucky you, Mike.

Rosemary said:
We miss the cod we used to get. Lately it has been anemic. Lucky you, Mike.

they ve been catching cod very well this spring up here....but not good enough to start shipping it out yet...most of it stays home

I'm having a nice large turbot air shipped from France. I hope it doesn't make a stop in P Town for labeling.

Mike R said:
Legals and Jaspars, as far as I know, have never sold Dover sole....their sole was always advertised as simply...sole....
DOVER SOLE

Type : Fish
| ShareThis

Dover Sole, the premier white fish with a unique and delicate flavor, is a choice pick for elegant dining during the holiday season. The very best Dover Sole comes from Holland, so that’s where Legal Sea Foods sources this wild-caught favorite. As a mainstay of the European seafood scene for generations, it is considered one of the foundations of Continental cuisine.

The thick-bodied Dover Sole is a flatfish that never gets much longer than 20 inches, and, like other soles, has its eyes on the right-hand side. Landed by trawlers, the species can be found between 400 and 1000 meters deep in cold ocean waters from the North Sea to Africa. Dover Sole can live for 45 years and are first available to commercial fisheries at about six to seven years of age. They spawn annually in winter, males at four years of age, females at age five. Each mature fish served in restaurants weighs between 24 and 28 ounces and, by tradition, is impressively filleted at the table in full view of the diner.
Few fish command more respect in culinary circles than the true Dover Sole, which yields thin yet firm fillets that hold together well in many preparations. The raw meat is glistening white and dense and stays white during cooking. The flavor of the Dover sole is mild and sweet, elusive and enticingly different from more mundane white fish species. It’s a special indulgence and always worth extra care and expense.

yes but it is not on the menu everyday...I already said I could understand anyone getting it once in a while...its the place claiming they have everyday that is suspect......and Legals, when they get it, is coming from Holland...not Dover.....which is no different coming from George Bank...which has been my point from minute one...you just helped me make my point...thank you

Landed by trawlers, the species can be found between 400 and 1000 meters deep in cold ocean waters from the North Sea to Africa

Sounds like European waters to me. See what your fishmonger says about it.

exactly......and the pacific northwest...and georges bank.....its ALL Dover sole....thats been my point!!!!!...

my fishmonger, who ships major tonnage every week of every year would say "if they want dover sole...I'll get em dover sole, no matter where it comes from, if its sole, it will be dover sole if thats what they want it called"

same thing New Bedford would say..same thing Gloucester would say

and a PC is just as good as an Apple right???..and a blackberry is just as good as an iPhone eh???....please...

here you go

Aquaculture Potential

The Dover sole is a high value species that supports a large fishery in the Pacific Northwest. In fact, Love states, "Dovers are the most important flatfish in the Oregon commercial fishery" (1996). There has been increasing interest in culturing flatfish in general. As of the this website's release, there has been no announcement of aquaculture research for this species. It may be a potential species in the future if the wild stocks significantly decline.

wait a minute...how does this happen?..Im confused..how can it be both Pacific AND Dover

somethings fishy here.... :D :D :D

from a McGraths Fish House, Salem OR

Entrées Include Sourdough Bread, Fresh Steamed Vegetables, Choice of Garden Salad or Coleslaw and your Choice of: Red Potatoes, Penne Pasta, Rice Pilaf, Fish House Fries, Cottage Cheese or Sliced Tomatoes. Enjoy one of the choices listed below in place of a garden salad:
Clam Chowder or Fishermen's Stew ... $1.59
Petite Shrimp Louis .. $1.79
Oregon Pear, Bleu Cheese and Walnut Salad ... $2.99

COCONUT PRAWNS $13.99
Jumbo Prawns Golden Fried in our Coconut Breading and served with Spiced Orange Marmalade.

CRAB CAKES $14.99
Crab and Oregon Bay Shrimp Blended with Light Spices and Grilled to Order. Finished with Lobster Cream Sauce.

STUFFED PRAWNS $11.99
Butterflied Prawns Stuffed with a Mixture of Crab and Bay Shrimp, then Baked to Perfection. Topped with Lobster Beurre Blanc.

PAN-FRIED OYSTERS $13.99
Lightly Breaded. Pan Fried or Cajun Style. Always Fresh.

NEW ORLEANS CATFISH
Petite Prawns, Andouille Sausage, Mushrooms, Scallions, Peppers, Tomatoes and Cajun Cream Sauce over Blackened Catfish.

HAZELNUT SOLE $11.99
Fresh Pacific Dover Sole rolled in crushed Hazelnut, grilled and topped with Lemon Dill Sauce.

MACADAMIA MAHI MAHI $13.99
Mahi Mahi Rolled in a Macadamia Nut Crust, Grilled and Presented over a Pineapple Beurre Blanc.

PINEAPPLE COCONUT AHI $13.99
Sashimi grade Ahi Tuna cooked medium rare in a Coconut Crust and served over Pineapple Coulis and Sriracha Sauce.