• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Isles Des Saintes?

tomva

SBH Insider
I am curious about the cluster islands of Isles Des Saintes and wondering if anyone from this forum has been there on vacation? I queried Trip Adviser and found almost nothing, and there are a few photos on Flickr.com. I’m thinking it might be similar to St.Barts in the 1970’s.

I sailed there about 10 years ago. Very french, very quiet, and very scenic. Historic fort there that will interest hhistory buffs.

I sailed there a couple of times in the early 90's. If you love St. Barth, you'll probably be highly disappointed by Les Saintes. I don't think they're anything like St. Barth in the early days.

I was there back in 06 or so..... was to be there a week,, left early I was so disapointed...

I love them both, and find them very different. We last visited les Saintes in 2007. Life was slow and quiet. I liked to walk through town in the afternoon. Everything was closed, not that there was much to close. Even the goats dozed. We could hear snoring as we passed house to house. Fishing seemed to be the main occupation. I can't recall any restaurant names, but there was a strong creole presence. Lots of boudin.

Rosemary said:
I love them both, and find them very different. We last visited les Saintes in 2007. Life was slow and quiet. I liked to walk through town in the afternoon. Everything was closed, not that there was much to close. Even the goats dozed. We could hear snoring as we passed house to house. Fishing seemed to be the main occupation. I can't recall any restaurant names, but there was a strong creole presence. Lots of boudin.

sounds like absolute heaven to me.......probably wont get there til we put the tub for two in the water and go exploring

Was there about 6 years ago and it was lovely but only for 2-3 days tops. Not allot to do after that. Nice achorage for my 10 day moorings trip but not a one-stop destination.

Spent about 3-4 days there four years ago. Took a look from the standpoint of a real estate purchase. My SBH history goes back to the late 80's/early 90's so I can't comment on the 70's. Having said that, its definately French in terms of food and culture, but more Guadaloupe than St. Tropez.

You will not find any of the boutiques or high end dining places or luxury hotels that have existed in SBH for decades. You will find some pretty good casual french carribean food and very friendly people.

As near as I can tell, it has stayed much more locked in time than SBH - which has obviously gone through a near constant evolution from year to year.

I found it most similar to some of the islands in the Grenadines, if anyone has been there. Perhaps more Bequia (with fewer visitors and tourist infrastructure) than SBH