Amazon Lists Top 20 Most Well-Read Cities in America

JEK

Senior Insider
Amazon Lists Top 20 Most Well-Read Cities in America
By Jason Boog on May 26, 2011 12:23 PM
Today Amazon counted the Top 20 Most Well-Read Cities in America. The list analyzed “data of all book, magazine and newspaper sales in both print and Kindle format since Jan. 1, 2011, on a per capita basis in cities with more than 100,000 residents.”

The complete list follows below–much to this GalleyCat editor’s dismay, does not include New York City. Maybe this means New Yorkers spend more time shopping at bookstores?

Check it out: “Cambridge, Mass.–home to the prestigious Harvard University and Massachusetts Institute of Technology–also topped the list of cities that ordered the most nonfiction books … Florida was the state with the most cities in the Top 20, with Miami, Gainesville and Orlando making the list.” (Via Publishers Lunch)

1. Cambridge, Mass.

2. Alexandria, Va.
3. Berkeley, Calif.
4. Ann Arbor, Mich.
5. Boulder, Colo.
6. Miami
7. Salt Lake City
8. Gainesville, Fla.
9. Seattle
10. Arlington, Va.
11. Knoxville, Tenn.
12. Orlando, Fla.
13. Pittsburgh
14. Washington, D.C.
15. Bellevue, Wash.
16. Columbia, S.C.
17. St. Louis, Mo.
18. Cincinnati
19. Portland, Ore.
20. Atlanta

Cool... Alexandria is #2.

I'm dismayed by the loss of brick & mortar bookstores. I happened to go to Borders today, to pick up a few books for my trip. I spent about an hour, just perusing things. That's hard to do online. I've found some of my favorite books/authors by meandering through bookstores.

eddie said:
I'm dismayed by the loss of brick & mortar bookstores. I happened to go to Borders today, to pick up a few books for my trip. I spent about an hour, just perusing things. That's hard to do online. I've found some of my favorite books/authors by meandering through bookstores.

:up: :up: :up:

thank you eddie....we re hangin in there...

I think bookstores in resort areas will have more staying power. If someone wants a book, you're the only game in town.
A few of my favorite, local, spots have gone belly up in the last few years. Sad.

yeah we're doing ok....for now....

dont know how long it will last though..

it will be a sad day if/when our toy/hobby store takes over that space

yes...trade paperbacks, not mass media...I dont stock many mass media paperbacks.....but we do sell a fair amount of hardcovers...however it has to be a trendy,hot, mostly non fiction hardcover to sell ( Unbroken...Decision Points..books like that )......fiction hardcovers rarely sell in my shop

and this hardcover, at 50 bucks, flys out the door for obvious reasons

1306458017-Fifty-Classic-Ski-Descents-400x400.jpg

LOL...no I am not....you can't tweak the price of books because they come pre priced....if its 60 on Amazon, its what I am getting too....