Any recipe suggestions

ccg

SBH Insider
I am getting 4 lbs of Spanish Mackerel tomorrow from Ocracoke, NC (part of our Walking Fish delivery) and I don't know what to do with it. Is this a good grill fish or broiled with butter and lemon.

Mike - What is "run-around gillnet" that is how they were caught. I have never seen this term. Thanks for the education.

Thanks for any ideas.

Charlotte

spanish mackeral are a bit oily...so I certainly wouldn't fry them...I would grill em or broil em and I wouldn't add any butter or oil on them while cooking....lemon and herbs of your choice...keep it simple

"run around gill net" is a method of gill netting where the net is run off a spool and encircled around the school of fish, and brought right in, as opposed to a drift gill net which is set out and left still for days on end...run around is the preferred method of gill netting amongst conservationist...no wasteful by catch..no dead dolphins or turtles

Mackerel is the same as blue fish- oily- baked is probably the best- simple dressing after- or a little boiled down tomato sauce with a little something spicy like Sriracha

reduces the oil...extracts it....its a very common practice with bluefish up here in New England which I hadn't heard of til I moved up here years ago

Thanks for the input. I am looking forward to dinner tomorrow, plan to broil.

Rosemary - Since we are only about 2 hrs from the NC coast Duke has partnered up with the local fisherman for delivery every week. I only bought a half share, so every other week for us. So far mullet, soft shell crabs and clams. Excellent food and always a different type of fish from a different group of fishermen.

C

Charlotte-so interesting. I have never heard of the seafood share. I wonder if we have anything similar around here. I will check. Thank you.

I have never seen any offered, nor have I looked. I will now! But I got that swim thing out of the way. This afternoon was so humid that I mowed the lawn in shorts and a shirt over my bathing suit. 4 pm found me jumping off the bulkhead into the Sound. 4:01 found me running for the shower. It wasn't awful at all. Just cold.

The only CSF that I know of in Massachusetts is Cape Ann Fresh Catch. They do deliver near me, but I haven't tried them. One reason is that fish like the Spanish Mackerel or Bluefish just wouldn't work for me.

This year I'm doing a half-share in a Veggie and Fruit CSA from a local/regional farm. (I grew up with one of the farmers, which makes it even better.) After thinking about it, I upgraded our CSA to include the Cut Flower option. Beginning June 7 we get 20 weeks of a half-share in the Veggies and Fruits. Somewhere in there we also get 10 weeks of Cut Flowers. (Question - If I don't personally shop for or order them, do I still get full brownie points for 10 weeks of cut flowers??)

One nice feature of this CSA is the donation bin. If there is something in your bin that you don't care for then just move it to the donation bin. The contents of the donation bin are given to a local food pantry. If you are away and can't pick up your bin then you have two choices. One is to give your empty bin to a friend, and have them pick up your full bin and enjoy the contents. Another is to not pick up your bin, and the entire contents will be donated to a local food pantry.

I'll let y'all know in the Fall how this has worked out for me.

Mike R said:
reduces the oil...extracts it....its a very common practice with bluefish up here in New England which I hadn't heard of til I moved up here years ago

Isn't the omega 3 in the oil? Why remove it??

it reduces it.. not eliminates it......so they tell me..I don't know...I don't eat bluefish or mackeral unless its smoked and then its pretty good particularly if its a small fish....but other than that I don't go near it.... not with the other choices I have at my disposal

I didn't eat Bluefish for years because I had so much of it but now I am back. Blue and Mackerel have Omega 3 and there is no way I would take it out reduce it or whatever. The oil is what makes both fishes.