Dinner Idea from BA - Fish sticks!

JEK

Senior Insider
BON APPETIT BLOGS

Halibut Fish Sticks with Dill-Caper Tartar Sauce
9:00 AM / MAY 19, 2011 / POSTED BY Guest
FILED UNDER: Quick Main Thursdays
Hallelujah, the weekend is in sight, and you need a no-brainer dinner tonight. Quick Main Thursdays has you covered.
1305815770-halibut-fish-sticks.jpg

Photograph by Patricia Heal

Unfortunately, when most people think of fish sticks, or as the Brits call them, fish fingers, they envision those tough, oddly perfect rectangles that come from a box. (Oh, yeah, and those bearded Gorton's men in their yellow slickers. Oh! And South Park.) Let this recipe extinguish those notions. Our halibut fish sticks are still fast and easy, but they're also fresh (read: no yellow slicker).

Ingredients
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
2 tablespoons drained capers
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
2 tablespoons finely chopped cornichons or dill pickles plus 1 tablespoon pickle juice from jar
1 1/4 cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
1 large egg
1 1/2 pounds 3/4-inch-thick halibut fillets, cut into 3x3/4-inch strips
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
INGREDIENT TIP
The panko (Japanese breadcrumbs) for the fish sticks can be found in the Asian foods section of some supermarkets, as well as at Asian markets./Try topping the French toast with mascarpone (also called Italian cream cheese), sold at supermarkets.
Preparation
Mix first 5 ingredients in bowl. Season with pepper. Cover and chill tartar sauce. Spread panko on plate. Whisk egg in small bowl. Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper. Working in batches, coat fish in egg. Coat in panko; shake off excess.
Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add half of fish and cook, turning often, until fish is opaque in center and golden on all sides, about 4 minutes total. Transfer to 2 plates; cover to keep warm. Repeat with remaining oil and fish. Spoon tartar sauce alongside.

Read More http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/q...ks_with_dill_caper_tartar_sauce#ixzz1MoE8Jv4P

Attachments

• halibut-fish-sticks.jpg
    halibut-fish-sticks.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 56
yeah I do that often...only with haddock or cod.....the oil has to be peanut, and the pan has to be cast iron.

with some sweet potato frittes and homemade cole slaw

agree - but I still prefer chestnut flour for my chicken....but I like rice flour for my fish

ever try chick pea flour?...thats nice too

Batter = fish. I have not looked for chestnut flour but I would like to make Vetri's chestnut gnocchis. I am sure Whole Foods has it.

chestnut flour imparts a nice flavor to the chicken...and browns it nice..its what they use in General Tsaos chicken..a very fine flour once you sift it

I have never heard of chestnut flour----and I'm going to go look for some on Saturday at WF. I love getting these tips :up:

JEK said:
Stimulating conversation and thinking.

I was just thinking that... This conversastion is so scintillating that I think we need to make the NYC ladies' dinner co-ed so we can discuss flour. }:| }:|

you are right! I'm living in a house with all guys, plus 2 male dogs. Ladie's Night is in order...I'm working on it--plus, did you see that I think we can make it to Philly in July? Might as well hijack this thread as well :p

katva said:
I have never heard of chestnut flour----and I'm going to go look for some on Saturday at WF. I love getting these tips :up:

not easy to find in the stores ...an Italian bakery would be a good start....

OK, thanks----I will try Whole Foods, since it's right around the corner from work....then there are some ethnic grocers nearby. We make chicken often (Tom can't eat beef---allergic to it), so I'm always looking for something to try.