Fresh Local Morels!

katva

Senior Insider
We were able to score some local morels and cooked up a fantastic dinner! They are only around for 2 weeks each year, and are Tom's absolute favorite. I made a cream sauce, and served the 'shrooms over delicate sauteed pork. I think we ate better than many on SBH tonight :)

I was trying to find veal---but it would have been a long drive! The local butcher was out.... So, pork worked quite well in this "pinch".

I am finding that veal is getting more difficult to buy here on Long Island as well.

I love veal---and will buy it if I know it was responsibly raised--otherwise, Tom won't have anything to do with it---he grew up on a farm, and is sensitive to the animals :) And it IS getting more difficult to find, except that the excellent local farms here in the Shenedoah Valley often have it.
Also, Tom is allergic to beef--but not veal for some reason--so it works well if it works well ;-)

Coincidently I am going Morel hunting on Saturday- used to be tons where I lived 15 years ago- we will see if anyone has either found them or destroyed their habitat.

there are a lot of discussions going on out here about who's find what and where! SHHHHH! We bought ours, for around $ 30/lb---cheap! Friends and neighbors harvest their own....Tom hunted them as a child too, therefore the love!

Happy hunting! I think I read/heard somewhere that it takes 6 years for them to cultivate, and they can't really be farmed--hence the hunt. Look for old oaks ;-) I would love to hear the results, and any recipes---we can save for next year.

Last spring while hiking in West Virginia, I saw a guy with some women picking morels ... he had a pistol on his side (looked a bit scary). Anyway, I told him that I didn’t like morels, so need to worry.

katva said:
Happy hunting! I think I read/heard somewhere that it takes 6 years for them to cultivate, and they can't really be farmed--hence the hunt. Look for old oaks ;-) I would love to hear the results, and any recipes---we can save for next year.

Cream goes well with Morels

Love morels! When I was a kid, he would always bring a bag home from his trip to the woods and fry them (in shortening probably). I think he would dip them in milk and bread crumbs first...they were so delish, I can almost taste them now!

I usually have them over veal- that's why a cream sauce. Cut them in half to clean out the bugs and dirt.

I did a cream sauce. It was heavenly if I do say so myself! And I had hoped for veal. See comments above. :)

Nah. BUT, I will have representatives that will bring back a basketfull. Yummm!

Whoah! We just might be there then. Best pickin' is now. Missing that.

ALWAYS know what you're dealing with.

"False morels
Main article: false morel

When gathering morels, care must be taken to distinguish them from the poisonous false morels, including Gyromitra esculenta, Verpa bohemica, and others. Although the false morels are sometimes eaten without ill effect, they can cause severe gastrointestinal upset and loss of muscular coordination (including cardiac muscle) if eaten in large quantities or over several days in a row. They contain a gyromitrin-like toxin (an organic, carcinogenic poison) that is produced by the mushroom.

The false morels can be told apart from the true morels by careful study of the cap, which is often "wrinkled" or "brainy", rather than honeycomb or net-like. Gyromitra esculenta has a cap that is generally darker and larger than the true morels (Morchella sp.). The caps of early morels (Verpa sp.) are attached only at apex (top) of cap, unlike true morels which have caps that are attached at or near the bottom. The easiest way to tell the false from the true variety, is to simply look inside the stem. False morels contain a cotton-ball looking substance inside their stem while true morels are hollow inside."