• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Pointe Milou

jeffandkat

Thanks all for contributing to this great resource - my wife and I have been using it extensively to plan a trip this summer for our 15th anniverssary.

We really like the open style villas in pointe milou - Samsara, Safari, Bayugita, etc. But we have some concerns with security after reading the crime related threads from 2008.

Does anyone have experiences with these villas they can share - have the crime issues subsided? We haven't seen any recent posts.

Thanks again for all your helpful posts - we're really looking forward to our trip.

My recollection is that the arrest of two people put an end to the 2008 problem.

That being said, as an almost 30-year visitor to SBH, I have always used the villa safe, and never leave cash and valuables hanging around.

Thanks for the quick response - we'd definitely use the safe but didn't know if the otherwise open style of the main living area poses any other issues.

Welcome, jeffandkat.
No news is probably good news. As long as you keep your valuables locked up at night and never leave them in the open outdoor area, you should be fine. From what I remember, much of what was taken was from the open areas at night. It can happen anywhere, just don't take any chances.
The villas are indeed in a great location. We stayed at Papillon Blanc the first time we visited the island. The views are absolutely beautiful.

The only other issue of the open areas is that in summer, it is very, very hot and the only place to cool off is in the plunge pool or the air-conditioned bedroom. Lots of good sun though.

Maybe someone on island has more inside info.

You'll be able to get all your travel info here so you're in the right place.

Bev

KevinS said:
My recollection is that the arrest of two people put an end to the 2008 problem.

That being said, as an almost 30-year visitor to SBH, I have always used the villa safe, and never leave cash and valuables hanging around.

Yep. We leave all the doors wide open when we're out. Never lock the car. Never leave "temptations" around while we're out or down for the night. So far. So goooood.

My wife and I stayed in villa Samsara for a week in June 2010.

No crime issues during our stay (although we were offered the opportunity to buy pot from a kid who looked like he was about 12 in the parking area near Flammands beach--we declined).

We rented a convertible mini cooper and kept the top on and car locked overnight--top down and unlocked during the day.

The villa has metal hurricane shutters (like narrow metal garage doors) operated by remote control that completely closes-off the villa.

There is a safe in the villa.

Villa Samsara is beyond-words-amazing, as, I' sure, are many of the villas in SBH. The views can bring tears to your eyes.

(As an aside, we actually wanted to stay a villa Bayugita (sp?), but it was unavailable. Either way, you can't go wrong, it's St. Barth).

The only thing I have heard and I have never stayed in that area is car noise going up and down the road in front of some of the Villas. Agree they are all beautiful in Pointe Milou

I would guess the car noise depends on where you are. We stayed in Point Milou in Nov 2009 and it was silent and safe.

We love Pointe Milou and especially Samsara. The views are stunning, as is the Bali-esque architecture. Enjoy fully -- and with just a little good common sense -- without worry.

we have rented in P.M. for years but on the windy side. Villa MBA/Carumba. Never had a problem and always left the villa open except for our small stuff in the room safe. it my favorite villa spot.

My wife and I stayed in Samsara in Dec 2009 and really enjoyed it. I will provide you with the pros and cons from our perspective:

Pros:

Phenomenal views
Open villa
Stereo system piped in throughout villa and can plug in your own iPod
Infinity pool
Just down the street from Le Ti
Power sunshade that comes down in the evening in front of dining table (sunsets can get pretty hot)

Cons:

Mosquitos since it is open
Very little breeze
The main living area can get pretty warm during the sunsets, which can be uncomfortable at times
Bed is very hard (we were very surprised by this and we were told we were the first to comment on this. To be fair, the last villa we stayed in while on the island had a similar style/feel bed. We have a memory bed at home and could just be used to that.)

To address your question about the security, my wife and I never felt unsafe in the villa or anywhere in the vicinity (or entire island for that matter). Even though the villa is open, there is a door at the entrance that can be locked. In addition, we always kept the bedroom door locked (where you would have all your valuables locked up and where the safe is). I will point out, however, that the walls surrounding the villa at the main entrance can be climbed. I know this as I had to boost my wife over the wall....which was proceeded by an eventful evening out in which we lost our keys to the car, hitched a ride home from a complete stranger, and watched the sun rise with the mosquitos in the living area since our bedroom door was locked... as we waited for someone to come by with another set of house keys and car keys. If someone were to climb the walls, they would basically only have access to the furniture. If they wanted to get to your personal property, they would have to break the bedroom door down.

The other side of the hill does get incredible breezes, but at the expense of losing the sunsets.

Again - this is just our perspective and our must haves were sunsets and infinity pool.

The attached photos should give you an idea of what it is like from the street, sunsets, amazing views and that sunshade (which definitely comes in handy in the evenings if you are eating at the table).

med_1301266404-Samsara_Sunset.jpg

med_1301265570-Pan_Samsara.jpg

med_1301266528-Samsara_morning.jpg

med_1301266606-Samsara_from_street.jpg

med_1301266748-Samsara_sunshade.jpg

Attachments

• Pan_Samsara.jpg
    Pan_Samsara.jpg
    475.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Samsara_Sunset.jpg
    Samsara_Sunset.jpg
    469 KB · Views: 65