• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Change in Immigration

firstcharter

SBH Member
Anguilla, St. Barths ask Govt to host immigration officers at PJIA

Saturday, 12 March 2011 00:44

PHILIPSBURG--Anguilla and St. Barths authorities have asked the government for permission to place their immigration officers at Princess Juliana International Airport (PJIA) to assist with the processing of persons who travel through St. Maarten to get to those destinations.

Justice Minister Roland Duncan told Members of Parliament (MPs) during Wednesday's meeting of the Central Committee of Parliament that he is supportive of such an initiative to "work together."

He said cooperation in this area is necessary and is in keeping with St. Maarten's status as a hub.

Duncan said Anguilla's ministers of Infrastructure and Home Affairs and a delegation met with him earlier this week and made the request. St. Barths, he said, had made its request earlier. Duncan said he will be taking the proposal to the Council of Ministers next week.

"I think it's an outstanding proposal," Duncan told the MPs. "I support it 100 per cent."

Duncan said the Anguillan authorities had identified several "problem" areas such as the "lack of full service" to the people who pass through St. Maarten, en route to Anguilla. In outlining the tedious process these travellers face, Duncan said the visitors are subjected to multiple immigration checks. "We are a tourist island and we need to be able to take measures," he said.

"I think we can arrange and upgrade services. We are a tourist island. We are a hub and as a hub we now need to also provide the services to the islands we [cater to]."

The minister said he had started discussions for the expansion of the immigration area at the airport to accommodate the additional immigration officers. "We are looking at a situation where we may even end up having three sets of immigration at the airport. It may sound big, but [it is] in keeping with [our] role as a hub. We welcome this cooperation with our neighbours."

On a related subject, Duncan said the first joint exercise in execution of the Franco Dutch Treaty was successfully held at PJIA. "As you know, the Franco Dutch Treaty calls for joint control of risk flights at the airport – in Grand Case and [at PJIA]; not at the harbour as yet. This was left for future matters."

He said such an exercise was not yet done at the French side airport, but he indicated that "this will soon come."

5520107014_00f9abdedc_o.jpg

Andynap said:
Interesting- could be the end of multiple checks, and the automatic transit fee.

Perhaps the end of multiple checks, but the transit fee will endure.

I think this could mean then end of the transit desk, and that everyone will have to go through Immigration in SXM, or did I miss something?

StBartFan2 said:
I think this could mean then end of the transit desk, and that everyone will have to go through Immigration in SXM, or did I miss something?

That would be terrible!