Phil Collins Quitting Music

andynap

Senior Insider
Phil Collins has decided to bow out from the business that made him. The British singer has reportedly told FHM that he is leaving the music industry due to health problems he's experienced for several years.

The 'Sussudio' entertainer revealed that years of sitting hunched behind his drum kit have left him with an array of medical issues. Collins' ailments range from hearing loss to a dislocated vertebra, and nerve damage in the same hands he uses to hold drumsticks, making performing for fans an otherwise painful experience.

Despite his lack of producing new songs as of late, the 60-year-old Genesis drummer holds 13 hit singles, seven Grammys and an Academy Award for Best Original Song in 1999 for his work on Disney's 'Tarzan.'

Collins apologizes that his choice to retire may upset fans, considering the more than positive run he's had throughout his career. "I'm sorry that it was all so successful," he stated. "I honestly didn't mean it to happen like that. It's hardly surprising that people grew to hate me."

While loyal supporters will have to get their Phil Collins fix by relying on his past catalog of tunes, the performer has a somewhat different view of how he's perceived in the music business. "I don't really belong to that world and I don't think anyone's going to miss me," Collins said. "I'm much happier just to write myself out of the script entirely

The ears go first. Trust me, I wear ear plugs all the time. Eric Burdon told me his ear surgery was a b*tch.

Joint pain is a killer for drummers. I love drummers. Ya link in and groove. Nothing like a tight drummer to get down. IMHO.

Yes. Thanks for the memories, and all the best. We recently lost a friend in the music industry to brain cancer. The thought was so many years of earphones and electric current. Very sad.

Sorry for your loss.

The newfangled ear plugs with monitor feed are cool and safe.

I have too many stories of folks that I played with and now stumble around saying - "What? What? I can't hear you." I believe in "ear muffs."

Ya have to wonder about cell phones, too. I know that the industry has gone out of its way to deny. Yet, when getting most FCC radio licenses here, the tests include a number of very detailed questions (with charts and graphs) on acceptable time limits and power ranges for any piece of radio gear used close to your head.

To bad he is one of my favorites. This sounds more permanent that a Cher farewell tour