Need to upgrade a PC?

Petri

Senior Insider
Still running that old MS-DOS 5.0 or Windows 1.01 machine and wondering if you should go for Windows 7 or buy a Mac?

Here's how to upgrade from MS-DOS 5.0 to Windows 7, through all the upgrades.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPnehDhGa14[/youtube]

Pretty cool, especially the applications that survived through the upgrades :D

Yep. I've lost stuff in the process. Backup. Backup before using the process. XP is stable on our computers here. Upgrading will be a leap of faith.

Minesweeper still works great and all stats transferred over (4 secs on the simple one - I got lucky :p )

We do have an "oldie" with Windows 3.1 for special recovery (like those old floppies.)

I can't believe it! I just used this old ZEOS 486-DX2 to restore some floppies. No gigabytes, gigahertz or broadband involved. A country boy can survive.

These were documents that I couldn't find and needed. Whew.

Nice! That must have been a relief. I'm always happy when the solution is simpler than I expect.

Yep. Kathy was the "disbeliever." "It'll never work. It's got some cobwebs on it." Hah! A little cleanup and that puppy roared. She acknowledged that having a floppy drive onboard on one these newer gizmos wasn't a bad idea either. Sometimes I get it right. :p

Only other comment from her, a kick in the shins, "that old HP Laser printer had better quality than that Canon stuff we have now." Yeah, but I can do pro quality pic printouts with this gear. The beat goes on. :confused: :crazy:

This little honcker, records show I got it in 1995, still works well. As for Gateway, Rick Snyder, who outsourced Gateway, is our new governor here in MI. We'll see...

I was amazed that I could recover some old files, make a floppie and recover on one of our new Dell's. (They laughed when I had a floppy drive installed on this one when I ordered it. Hah! - But, the Dell floppy drive and software DO NOT compare to what's on that Zeos.) Ya work with what ya can figure out. ;) :p

"Snyder joined Gateway in 1991 as the executive vice president and was named president and chief operating officer in January 1996, a position he held until leaving the company as an employee in August 1997."

Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Snyder

Our new gov that seems a little clueless. Yes, I've met him. Nice guy. Clueless. We'll see how this plays

I actually thought gateway was out of business I was surprised to see they still make product when I went to their website. Learn something new every day.

Name dropping alert. I met Rick a couple years ago at an IEEE-sponsored nanotechnology conference in Ann Arbor. He was just gearing up for his run for governor and was a keynote speaker since he, and the Ford family, have been big in providing venture capital here for tech startups. And, we both have spent plenty of time in South Dakota. :blush:

I have friend who live in Detroit and think he will do well for the state only time will tell. At least he is a tech guy.