Guess the fish (Lisbon, Portugal)

Petri

Senior Insider
Was thinking of the forum while having this fish for lunch by the Tagus river..

1298887968-fish1.jpg

Fish definitely was the king in Portugal -- we hardly had anything else. One of the places we enjoyed a lot was this restaurant where they offer only "catch of the day" type of fish from the coastal regions. You can buy the fish and take it home for cooking, eat it the traditional way, or have it as a sushi.

1298887993-fish2.jpg
1298888022-fish3.jpg

(The shellfish were in another cabinet..)
(http://www.peixariamoderna.com/ but the flash check doesn't work with Safari)

Other destination worth a de-tour was Landeau Chocolate. If the only product is a chocolate cake, just one type, they must be doing something right. And they certainly do.

1298888795-cake.jpg

http://www.landeau.pt/ at the LX Factory, behind the police station building. I believe the cake is also available at Vertigo Cafe downtown but we walked to the source -- which probably still didn't burn the amount of calories the cake had.

A nice "skiing holiday" with +23 C sun shine and wearing a T-shirt at the street corner coffee shops. While the weather back home was sunny, you can't do that in the -20 C. Just a quick trip to Lisbon and day-trip to Sintra, never been to Portugal before.

Attachments

• fish1.jpg
    fish1.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 50
  • fish2.jpg
    fish2.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 48
  • fish3.jpg
    fish3.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 51
  • cake.jpg
    cake.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 45
wait ...I'm confused

I thought displaying pictures of dead and decomposing animals was frowned upon in this here establishment????... :D :D

FRESH FISH, Mike. Not only that FRESH LOCAL FISH. You should really be applauding Petri on this post.

Mike R said:
I thought displaying pictures of dead and decomposing animals was frowned upon in this here establishment????... :D :D

It's a chocolate cake, not an animal :D

How did you like Portugal, Petri? My favorite place.....although I thought that the sardines were king there. The fish is all outstanding, especially the "pulpo".

amyb said:
FRESH FISH, Mike. Not only that FRESH LOCAL FISH. You should really be applauding Petri on this post.

I am.....its a joke!!!...well..more of a poke...LOL

Mike R said:
wait ...I'm confused

Only backyard goats...

LindaP said:
How did you like Portugal, Petri? My favorite place.....although I thought that the sardines were king there. The fish is all outstanding, especially the "pulpo".

Well, it didn't start too well when the airport taxi tried to charge us 35 euros for the 10 euro trip. It didn't go too far as the hotel porter had already opened the door for us. But that was the only scam we encountered but there are reasons why the troubled european countries tend to be on the Med :D

About three days in the city was well enough for Lisbon itself, just like in many cities around Europe there isn't really that much to see (Helsinki fits in that category as well). The city itself felt like a bit run-down Italy or Spain. I've never seen so many graffiti's :D

The trip to Sintra wasn't "far enough" for countryside, the train trip was mostly trough suburbs. The sites in Sintra were fabulous, though, and a proved that a car trip around the countryside would be worth the effort. Friends have also said that Porto is "better" than Lisbon.

It's a pity we don't speak any portuguese, it sounds a lot like russian to our ears although I believe the sounds are more from arabic origin than russian. Overall (apart from the first taxi scammer) people were nice, spoke english better than expected, and we enjoyed the time. Coming from the expensive part of Europe, the prices were really wallet-friendly.

Overall a great trip, interesting country, worth a visit or more, but I think cruising around the italian countryside is still our favourite :D But we will be checking out the portuguese wines available up here, and we'll be eating more fish in the coming weeks..

I agree about Lisbon.....although the difference in heights is pretty interesting. I think Portugese almost has a German sound, especially with the "sh" sound at the end of the s words.
The Algarve and Caiscais are my favorite; although, you are right about Porto. My brother has been all over Portugal, and said next time I have to go north, towards Porto and inland. The euro did go further than St Barths, for sure! :)