Build your own "swiss army knife"

Gerber 400. Bought a case many years ago. Too many left. Sure, TSA took one. Kathy still frowns when I use one as a toothpick. Handy, simple, effective gadget - no batteries or training course required.

"More than 25 years ago Gerber introduced the world to high tech knives with the Gerber L.S.T Knife. The L.S.T. fits in your pocket, weighs a mere 1.2 ounces and has a durable, easy-to-grip handle. In fact, Gerber was the first to use an all-synthetic handle. By combining the impact resistance and incredible strength-to-weight ratio of reinforced nylon with the reliability of a stainless steel blade, Gerber usd in the first of many knife advancements. Fold the knife blade closed to stash it in your pocketâe"you'll barely know it's t Bottom Line: The lightweight Gerber L.S.T. Knife is a trusted classic to take into the backcountry with you."

1296926755-Gerber400.jpg

Attachments

• Gerber400.jpg
    Gerber400.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 61
I used the plastic toothpick from the mini swiss knife more than anything else. I have 4 knives without the picks.

I have to admit that the corckscrew on my Swiss knife has been handy. Heck of a lot easier than poking, prodding and twisting with the Gerber.

C41BBK_L.jpg

length overall 7" (178mm) blade length 3 1/8" (80mm) blade steel CPM-S30V
length closed 3 15/16" (100mm) cutting edge 2 5/8" (67mm) weight 2.65oz (75.2g)
hole diameter 15/32" (12mm) blade thickness 1/8" (3mm) handle material FRN

#3? is sitting in my pocket as I type. One hand open, does everything. Also legal in NYC.

I don't like the stupid belt clip. Same as they did on the newer 400s. It doesn't slide in your pocket as smoothly.

Besides, the Gerber is only 3.5 inches, folded. I carry two for climbing, diving, etc. They've saved my sorry butt a few times. That's all I know. Oh, yep, I keep them sharpened so they work as advertised.

Know your tools, whatever is your preference, and know how to use them. Always, be safe.

Love the "pocket clip"...always know precisely where it it...and the serrated blade....if you look closely, you'll notice the top half of the blade is full width about half way out from the handle. I've discovered that, with the judicial application of a hammer on the fat part, I have a mini-axe...LOL

great tool.