San Juan for a year?

fins85258

Senior Insider
I may have an oppotunity to go to San Juan and work for a year building a project for Uncle Sam and I need some input on cost of living. I don't need anything fancy just a nice little place in a safe neighborhood. I'll be living on perdium of about $3000/ month since my pay will be going home to the states to run the household.

So is it doable or am I going to starve in a rat hole?

How many people moving with you? Have you negotiated transportation or car or do you have to get it yourself out of the $3,000 budget?

You can get a decent apartment (studio or 1 bedroom) for rent with furniture in the Condado or Isla Verde areas (I prefer Condado) for $1,000 to $1,500 a month. Utilities usually are not included but some include water. Electricity $125.00, water $35.00, basic cable tv $45.00 with premium channels and hd $90.00.

Cars are expensive because they include in the price anywhere from 20% to 35% tax depending on the model, brand and luxuries, etc. Usually they have the same list price as in the USA but they add the tax to the list price.

I would say that groceries are more expensive compared to the US (about 10% to 15%).

If you have any other questions, I'll be around.

*I'm a long time lurker of the forum since we decided to have our November 2011 Honeymoon at SBH and decided to register to help fins.

How nice of you, JC!

Welcome to the forum...no more lurking!

I'm sure fins will appreciate your help.

JC,

Thanks for the input and welcome to the forum or as I like to call it "the ship wreck". A lot of great people here to get to know and like you, quite helpful. I would be the only person traveling but I can see I need to do a lot of research to figure out the viability of this.

Thanks again, Gregg

Gregg,
I have a friend who is in San Juan for a year+ with her husband, who works for the VA. I'd be happy to put you in touch with her, she probably has a very good handle on current costs for moving there for a year. PM me if you'd like her email info.
All the best,
Lynn