• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

The Hurricane Book

elgreaux

Senior Insider
I think this has been mentioned but I found a link for the book on Amazon: The Hurricane Book by Randy West, a boat captain who spends a lot of time on the island...

med_1295975894-Hurricane_book.jpg

Attachments

• Hurricane_book.jpg
    Hurricane_book.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 36
I mentioned this last week.Randy is an old time St Barts guy,and fixture at Select
He went back to the states for a bit, but left some books at the Black Swan
He will be having a signing later in the winter at Les Artisans( aka Albert and Joanne's)

tell him to send a half dozen and I will sell them..I am assuming I cant get them from a mass market distributor..

worked real well for Kara

it would be a nice addition to my travel section

Pat has read the first few chapters. Each chapter is self contained.It starts with his first hurricane,when he was little,and moves on through each hurricane in his life.
If you have ever sat with Randy at the office,and heard his storytelling ( and the more he gets going, the better his West Indian accent!), you will know that the book will become part of the lore of this wonderful island
I encourage everybody to support him at his signing ( not yet sure when)

oh, I would love to have a copy and meet Randy. Ever since hurricane Hugo, which occurred during our honeymoon while on Vigin Gorda, I have been hooked on storms, especially hurricanes. I wonder if he would be on the island while we are there in May???

I have most favorite D. Randy West story. When he was always a fixture at Carnaval and after one a few years ago I ran into him (back) at Baz. He was looking a little pale and I asked him if he had a good Carnaval. He replied it must have been good because he lost his car and his shoes. His shoe were the biggest problem for when he leaned over to buy new ones on he nearly passed out for the headache. His car turned up after a day or so.

that randy, a real character. almost everyone on the island knows him, very friendly and I'm told a great captain. He used to be the captain on the Lone Fox antique sailing ship when it was owned by one of the Swedes from the boat yard. Always ready to have a ti punch with someone!

very true..

any Captain worth his salt has enough stories to fill a book

it comes with the territory...

The story goes that he sailed into our island about 30 years ago with torn sails. Told that Jennie Rae was the resident sail seamstress,he asked for her.Hearing she was off island
for several months, his response was " Then I'll just have to move here"!
Just one more of the many colorful characters who have made up the fabric of life here,and why we never let a day go by without a stop at the office

Just heard Lone Fox is wintering in Maine this year as a result of a couple close encounters with rocky shores...
Randy shows up in Newport as well. I just ordered the book.

Rosemary said:
Just heard Lone Fox is wintering in Maine this year as a result of a couple close encounters with rocky shores...
Randy shows up in Newport as well. I just ordered the book.

Lone Fox has posted it will soon be heading south soon so maybe we'll see this beautiful boat before the season is over... current owner is also the skipper...

Diana, we had lunch with him at Au Regal the next day. A big gang of people. David the Dentist. Didier the Hammer. Rosemond the Camera. Tim the Bike.