What happens when the CD factory closes?

Sad. But things roll on and "the little folk" get thrown under the bus. Hopefully there's a next bus coming to pick them up. Nothing wrong with innovation. Nothing wrong with folks that work and are willing to work.

Guess it's time for me to trash that Walkman I still have in a bin here somewhere. Nah. I think I'll bronze it and get a pretty penny on eBay. Kinda like when I sold a couple Sony Betamax units for soooo much more than original price.

What happens is I try to get in there and cut a deal to auction off the equipment and facility.

That one is done.

They made magnetic tape.

That deal bought a few bottles of Chablis last month.

The sad thing is that with the demise of the CD we also witness the demise of high quality sound reproduction. All of the digital formats allow for mass storage, but at a serious drop in sound quality. Alas, the average listener today doesn't know, or can't hear the difference. The last vestige of good sound can still be heard on a good Dolby 5.1 Home Theater system, but not one of those pre-packaged all in a box deals.

Phil

Phil- the CD WAS the demise of high quality sound reproduction...
What is truly sad is how all of this changes the music industry. Musicians are screwed, as the new business model will be based on free ( or low priced) content. No more A&R guys, sitting in clubs, looking for talent. No more labels, allowing bands to grow, or offering to finance touring.

Ah, now the age old argument of Vinyl vs. CD. I would agree that Vinyl may sound a bit warmer, but the dynamic range, frequency response and overall sound quality was no match for the CD. To your point about the artists, the successful ones do their own A&R, write and produce their own work, and probably earn 5-10 times as much as their earlier counterparts. I agree that without vehicles like American Idol, the industry would probably belong to ITunes.

Phil

The problem is in getting heard. Having an album released by a major label would get you radio airplay. The new dynamic has worked for some, but it's a very small percentage getting attention through YouTube/ myspace/ facebook/etc.

Support live concerts.

Yes, I prefer vinyl or "high quality" tape. CDs have come a long ways. iNet stuff is OK, sometimes. Live is the real deal.