Live Lobsters

kristi0119

SBH Member
I want to steam live cold water lobsters (Maine or New Hampshire) for my anniversary and I don't want to buy the ones from the grocery store tank. Any suggestions on good online companies to use? Lobster Gram, Sagamore Lobster, etc. seem reputable but you never know.

Sagamore is good....MaineLobsterDirect.com is good....Lobsterstogo.com out of Rockport Maine is good

kristi0119 said:
I've heard "steamers" are a welcome addition as well...although I've never had them.

steamers are ok..the shells are very soft so I dont know how they ship.....littlenecks are better steamed anyway....much

Great tutorial! My great grandfather taught me how to eat them the day Neil Armstrong walked on the moon. A rich full day.

the problems with steamers is if they person selling them hasn't purged them, they can be sandy and gritty....I purge mine in an onion sack for at least a day before I cook them

Even if they are purged they can be a bit intimidating for newbies. Best experienced in the company of an expert.

I eat what I need to. The rest I simply enjoy.

Thanks too - for tips on making the "scarfing" even better.

Mike - Can you explain where the terms chicken; pounder; quaters; halves came from to classify a lobster. I see that they are weight based but am confused by the poultry label.

Thanks
Charlotte

chick or chicken simply means small...under 2 pounds and usually a pound and a quarter...

other terms you'll want to know are

cull..means one claw missing

pistol..means no claws at all

sleeper...means close to death or dead....dont buy or consume no matter what they tell you

soft shell..a lobster who has just moulted its hard shell....they are usually cheaper and for good reason...some people like the taste....most dont..hence the cheaper price