Top 20 Food Trends for 2011

KevinS

Senior Insider
From the NRA - No, not the gun people, the National Restaurant Association. Note how many times that Local, Sustainable, and Nutritional are referenced.

1 Locally sourced meats and seafood
2 Locally grown produce
3 Sustainability
4 Nutritionally balanced children’s dishes
5 Hyper-local (e.g. restaurant gardens, do your own butchering)
6 Children’s nutrition
7 Sustainable seafood
8 Gluten-free/food allergy conscious
9 Simplicity/back to basics
10 Farm/estate-branded ingredients
11 Micro-distilled/artisan liquor
12 Locally-produced wine and beer
13 Half-portions/smaller portion for a smaller price
14 Organic produce
15 Nutrition/health
16 Culinary cocktails (e.g. savory, fresh
ingredients)
17 Newly fabricated cuts of meat (e.g. Denver steak, pork flat iron, Petite Tender)
18 Fruit/vegetable children’s side items
19 Ethnic-inspired breakfast items (e.g. Asian-flavored syrups, chorizo scrambled eggs, coconut milk pancakes)
20 Artisan cheeses

Find the complete PDF at http://www.restaurant.org/pdfs/research/whats_hot_2011.pdf

Food wise, Mike you are right on target.

Number 8 is of interest to me since my 13 year old grand daughter was diagnosed as having Celiac Disease. In a little over two years I have seen the gluten free food stuff explosion in many stores on Long Island. Our entire family has become ingredients label aware now and she is doing fine. Within a couple of weeks of eliminating grains that irritated her problem, the stomach aches went away. She is happy and healthy and very aware of her eating requirements. She has even gone on teen tours and been able to follow her guidelines.

Of course, the easiest solution for me is to prepare meals from scratch and follow the fresh food guidelines that Mike has been preaching.

we re coming full circle Amy

and none too soon!

we couldn't possibly keep going the way we were going without serious repercussions...

I actually read a good article which basically said that people who value good fresh locally produced organic food had better hope the masses don't embrace it, as in that situation there is no way the market can produce enough product to meet demand....

I say...

Darwinism

eating local and fresh not only is a healthier alternative, but just as importantly, it supports the local economy...the same local economy you live in and therefore can enjoy the benefits of its overall fiscal strength

Andynap said:
You are not alone. I think that the people who actually cook their food follow a lot of these practices.

of course I am not alone...up here its the norm...this week I am trading some fresh trout for a fresh Heritage pig ham for New Years Day dinner...