Your Apps Are Watching You

JEK

Senior Insider
Your Apps Are Watching You!

Few devices know more personal details about people than the smartphones in their pockets: phone numbers, current location, often the owner's real name—even a unique ID number that can never be changed or turned off.

These phones don't keep secrets. They are sharing this personal data widely and regularly, a Wall Street Journal investigation has found.
1292688222-Screen_shot_2010-12-18_at_11.03.20_AM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen_shot_2010-12-18_at_11.03.20_AM.jpg
    Screen_shot_2010-12-18_at_11.03.20_AM.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 53
The apps that I picked the past couple of days have listed exactly what data they are mining before I load it.

I just installed Pandora Radio. It gave a warning that it had access to a number of system functions, but did not mention what it was sending especially the phone id.

JEK said:
I just installed Pandora Radio. It gave a warning that it had access to a number of system functions, but did not mention what it was sending especially the phone id.

I just updated Pandora- here is what it has access to:

Network communication
create Bluetooth connections, full Internet access

Your Personal Information
add or modify calendar events and send email to guests, read contact data

Phone calls
read phone state and identity

System tools
bluetooth administration, change network connectivity, change Wi-Fi state, modify global system settings, prevent phone from sleeping

Yep. When I did the upgrade of Pandora on my Android I got the same. They are the biggest offender.
1292706336-Screen_shot_2010-12-18_at_4.03.28_PM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen_shot_2010-12-18_at_4.03.28_PM.jpg
    Screen_shot_2010-12-18_at_4.03.28_PM.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 53
"The silicone chip inside her head
Gets switched to overload..."
The Boomtown Rats

It could happen...

Andynap said:
Network communication
create Bluetooth connections, full Internet access

Your Personal Information
add or modify calendar events and send email to guests, read contact data

Phone calls
read phone state and identity

System tools
bluetooth administration, change network connectivity, change Wi-Fi state, modify global system settings, prevent phone from sleeping

Well hidden in there. Neither iOS or Android really cares about your privacy.

I wouldn't care if a single App would get the details but when there's a middleman like the AppStore, they can start drawing lines between everything.

I was amazed (not really) at what info is on me on many marketing/linkup/etc. sites when I spent some time last week to do a rough research.

We use the same IP address here, usually. Randomly change it for biz transactions.

One of the goofiest things I ran across was my Dad being listed as 102 years old with the old address and phone number. He died at the tender age of 94. Friends who moved 15 years ago still have their old address and phone # listed on some of these sites. Sigh.

Info? Scary to think what people take as facts and then act on them. IMHO.

Privacy's been gone for years...we're only noticing it now.

My concern, other than privacy, is the apps that won't let the phone "sleep"....goes to battery life...

That's why I like Smart Bar.

JEK said:
Yes, I see you are on Road Runner internet

A road runner outfoxes a wiley coyote every time. :p

Having multiple feeds and IPs ain't bad either.

BTW. That address is a link that I use from up north and it shows as SE Michigan. So where am I? Unfortunately, not on SBH.