• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Checking through on Continental

StBartFan2

SBH Insider
It has been a while since I flew Winair from SXM to SBH. Does anyone know if you can still check luggage through from Newark to SBH, and avoid the mayhem at SXM?

Thank you in advance.

Just make sure you have connecting flight paperwork with you when checking in on the initial leg. The luggage won't be checked through all the way unless you show proof of confirmed seats on the connecting flights.

The next question is can you preprint Continental boarding passes before leaving St. Barth?

I should be able to manage that....either at a friends or at the internet cafe. Every extra minute on the island is important.

We tried to check-in online and print out our boarding passes with Continental yesterday...we weren't even able to check in. I guess we're going to have to go through the whole process at SXM. Is this going to be a nightmare?

AmyK said:
We tried to check-in online and print out our boarding passes with Continental yesterday...we weren't even able to check in. I guess we're going to have to go through the whole process at SXM. Is this going to be a nightmare?

Did you try within 24 hours before your flight... and are you carry-on bags only?

Yes...we tried yesterday afternoon and again this morning. We do have checked luggage, but there was no indication that was the issue. This is the message we got:

Unable to Complete Check-in

Continental.com check-in is not currently offered for flights that are operated by another carrier. Please proceed to the airport for check-in.

We are flying Winair from SBH to SXM...apparently we have the interline agreement, but...who knows?

Guess we're going to have to recheck our luggage at SXM. We should have about 2 1/2 hours to get it all done....wasn't mentally prepared for the hassle, though.

Amy,

From the response given by Continental, one would think you were trying to print your Winair boarding passes as well. If that's the case, just try printing the Continental boarding passes. Forgive the suggestion if I've misunderstood the message.

Thank you for all of your input! I appreciate it! We're checked in at SBH and I suppose I'll have more info at SXM. Will post what I find out in case anything has changed since you all have been here. :).

The WinAir boarding passes are not the issue. All you needed were your Continental ones, as Tim pointed out. Then Winair should check your bags all the way through and you avoid immigration and check-in in St Martin. You only need the Continental boarding passes for the mini security area in SXM, not in SBH...

For whatever reason, we were unable to check in online for Continental. It seemed that no one on our Winair flight was able to either. We all had to go through the torture at SXM...Immigration, check in, horrendous security lines (over 1 1/2 hours total)...and that was with our bags checked in through to EWR...oh well...we're home safe and sound.

we just returned and did have our bags checked thru both ways using Cont'-Winair and we printed our return tickets the day before at the Sibarth office....we had no luggage problems ...and went in-transit all the way......

They must have just changed like AA did last year. I was in Detroit a few months ago and tried to check in online for Mexico City and was not allowed. I called them and they said they do not allow online check in for International Flights.

Continental does allow on-line check in for international flights, but all of your passport data has to be perfectly entered into their computer system prior. If there is a hiccup (and often there is), then the system kicks it out and requires check-in in person.