The Storming of St. Barth in Vanity Fair

elgreaux said:
JimD said:
My argument on the subject is that there is no shortage of beds in comparison to the size of the island.

Investment would be better spent upgrading properties such as the Manapany, to cater to the new generation of clients are coming to the island.

In discussion with a member of the Island Council, the impact of the additional staff required on the island didn't appear to have been considered.

Given the consensus is that St Barts is already over populated......

I couldn't agree with you more.. want to run for president ?

Being allowed to vote might be nice.

No taxation without....hang on.....

I'm not in favor of the Saline project, but I don't think it was ever planned to be on the beach (yet). I think it was proposed to be squarely in the middle of the stink-cum-flood-pond.

As you look beachwards from the car park (can't bring myself to say "parking lot", sounds like something for sale at a used car auction), it would be tucked in the far left corner where the ridge joins the hill.

elgreaux said:
maybe you should stay in St Martin, the overdevelopment there may be more your style!

Have you been French side recently? It is turning back into a wilderness.

Having a high euro with French employment law, social charges and bureaucracy bang next door to a liberal (in the classical sense) dollar economy.

Zero investment that I can see, it's all going into the Dutch side, which appears to be thriving.

Ain't nothing going on but the rent.

JimD said:
elgreaux said:
maybe you should stay in St Martin, the overdevelopment there may be more your style!

Wow, that was harsh. Overdevelopment is not my style. I didnt say I thought it was a good idea. I started it with "As much as I hate the idea". I said I would want to stay if it were there. I strongly oppose the idea, but 25 years from now, there will be a hotel there, and I would prefer an eco resort than something like Ile de France. I was only picking the lesser of 2 evils.

Eve aka coco2626 said:
JimD said:
elgreaux said:

Wow, that was harsh. Overdevelopment is not my style. I didnt say I thought it was a good idea. I started it with "As much as I hate the idea". I said I would want to stay if it were there. I strongly oppose the idea, but 25 years from now, there will be a hotel there, and I would prefer an eco resort than something like Ile de France. I was only picking the lesser of 2 evils.

uh-oh.....thems fightin' words, eve!!! :D

Harsh?

That was actually a neutral aside pointing out that much of St Martin is not the hub of development that people think it is. The French side is rotting back into the undergrowth.

I am in favour of development when appropriate, I'm not one of those people who find poverty quaint.

St Barts is not in a position where it needs more investment to address an economic need, French Side St Martin is crying out for it.

JimD said:
Having a high euro with French employment law, social charges and bureaucracy bang next door to a liberal (in the classical sense) dollar economy.

Zero investment that I can see, it's all going into the Dutch side, which appears to be thriving.

The dutch side doesn't follow dutch employment laws?

Considering all the game between major currencies, having a small island divided into EUR and USD based currencies must be a pain in the *ss.

Petri said:
The dutch side doesn't follow dutch employment laws?

It's sometimes unclear if the Dutch side follows any Dutch laws. More correctly, it's sometimes unclear if the Dutch side enforces any laws at all.

KevinS said:
It's sometimes unclear if the Dutch side follows any Dutch laws. More correctly, it's sometimes unclear if the Dutch side enforces any laws at all.

That's very dutch then.

You are right. i am very naive. In my simple head, in a perfect world, I saw a true eco-resort. That would never happen in glitterworld.
But I am glad I wont be around in 25 years to see what ends up there.

Eve aka coco2626 said:
You are right. i am very naive. In my simple head, in a perfect world, I saw a true eco-resort. That would never happen in glitterworld.
But I am glad I wont be around in 25 years to see what ends up there.

BAD attitude. Sure you will.

and what's wrong with the IDF???