The Storming of St. Barth in Vanity Fair

Jeanette said:
Why would Vanity Fair run a current article based on a year-old article that is now factually incorrect.

Am I missing something?

Because it's Vanity Fair? Hardly a bible when it comes to facts...fun read, tho.

PCS said:
people have been pissed for a while now....

yeah like us, we are really pissed they are putting an industrial zone in front of our door. but there is no reasoning with them...

The January issue isn't in my local stores yet. All that I have available is the December issue with Cher on the cover.

Just read it on my iPad and here are a few screenshots from the iPad. Didn't realize how much animosity there was between the President and David Zara of Trandwind. A must read about the politics of the island.

med_1291819640-photo_1-2.jpg
med_1291819666-photo_2-3.jpg
med_1291819695-photo_3-1.jpg

med_1291820846-photo_1-3.jpg
med_1291820917-photo_2-4.jpg

Attachments

• photo_1-2.jpg
    photo_1-2.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 236
  • photo_2-3.jpg
    photo_2-3.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 230
  • photo_3-1.jpg
    photo_3-1.jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 227
  • photo_1-3.jpg
    photo_1-3.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 221
  • photo_2-4.jpg
    photo_2-4.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 228
yep..clearly there are deep grass roots issues which are polarizing the island...be interesting to see where this all lands eventually

I know what my money is on....

This writer did a rather good job capturing the current issues, a few of her facts are erroneous but nothing that effects the impact of her article... I have been going on about all this for years and I'm glad to see the main stream press finally raise the issues, and not just present the island as a playground for the rich and famous (although their photos are almost all movie stars...)

This is very interesting. I put zero stock in Vanity Fair, but the article does raise some issues that deserve closer inspection. It seems worth noting that, relevant to the notion of a polarized island, politically/ideologically St-Barth is virtually at the top of French jurisdictions being homogeneous in that regard.
To be followed more closely...

Cassidain said:
I put zero stock in Vanity Fair, but the article does raise some issues that deserve closer inspection.

Like how Beyoncé was performing at the Nikki Beach whilst attending Abramovitch's party in Gouverneur

maybe she went to the party after she performed or vice versa... but I hear she and Jay-Z will be in Vegas this year for New Year's Eve...

I was anxious to read this article and appreciate your posting it. I found the following Balazs quote to be quite telling -

But André Balazs says he will continue to pursue the eco-resort. “I’ve been coming to St. Barth’s most of my life, and I have always viewed the Saline project as a long-term commitment to the community,” he says.

A little earlier in the article it states that Balazs, when asked, had to be shown the location of the Manapany Hotel on a map. I find it hard to believe anyone who has been coming to St. Barth all his life could not know the location of Manapany. I think this guy would say anything to get approval of his project. Another irony is that the project as planned has a high likelihood of being a financial failure, just like the one on Grand cul de Sac, an abandoned project that has become an eyesore not unlike the island's trash dump.

As much as I hate the idea, I would like to stay there, although I am sure it would be big bucks

My argument on the subject is that there is no shortage of beds in comparison to the size of the island.

Investment would be better spent upgrading properties such as the Manapany, to cater to the new generation of clients are coming to the island.

In discussion with a member of the Island Council, the impact of the additional staff required on the island didn't appear to have been considered.

Given the consensus is that St Barts is already over populated......

JimD said:
My argument on the subject is that there is no shortage of beds in comparison to the size of the island.

Investment would be better spent upgrading properties such as the Manapany, to cater to the new generation of clients are coming to the island.

In discussion with a member of the Island Council, the impact of the additional staff required on the island didn't appear to have been considered.

Given the consensus is that St Barts is already over populated......

I couldn't agree with you more.. want to run for president ?

Eve aka coco2626 said:
As much as I hate the idea, I would like to stay there, although I am sure it would be big bucks

bite your tongue, there would be no worse environmental impact on the island than developing the beach in Saline, not to mention it is on a flood plain and during Otto this year people at the nearby Saline Gardens were evacuated by boat... maybe you should stay in St Martin, the overdevelopment there may be more your style! and I say that only in the nicest way, but St Barth isn't for everyone...